Search Unity

18 Ideas for Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fritsl, May 2, 2017.

?

Should Unity hire me?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fritsl

Fritsl

Youp, I realize now that content is second place. My bad.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Much of the content was bad too, though. Sorry.

--Eric

3. Fritsl

Fritsl

Lol, I respect that! And the tone :D

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

A few of the suggestions were good, but that's not enough for Unity to hire you. ;) People disagreeing with you doesn't make them haters.

--Eric

orb and Martin_H like this.
  5. Fritsl

Fritsl

Thank you Eric, I appreciate that.
    What if we then stood together and realized those instead of .. .. ? Sounds good?

6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Hard coded folders are already a problem. Sometimes hard coded folders are absolutely necessary within assets themselves and it prevents you from being able to move assets to different folders.

Personally what I'd rather see is for Unity to implement a virtual directory type structure / tool, allowing assets to resolve their own folders from the hierarchy. I'm not sure how that would work or be implemented, but in general, would allow assets to resolve their own base path so a user could move the asset to a different folder without breaking it.

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Fritsl

Fritsl

Have you tried Unreal? In there the semi-hardcoded structure is absolutely awesome. It makes so many things easier, and makes it a lot faster to go from project to project since you know how things are structured from the moment you sit down.

8. Fritsl

Fritsl

Oh, and it also makes creating new stuff a lot faster, since you do not have to consider the wheel over and again, not to mention how we could avoid all the mess made by assets from the asset store ;)

9. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Aaaaaanyway... I do agree with some of the items on the list, at least in part, but not really sure what they have to do with getting hired by Unity.

Ryiah, zombiegorilla and hippocoder like this.
  10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

There are no "haters" here. It is important to remember that unity has a massive user base, and many that use it professionally and depend on it being stable. There is no indication that "most" users want that change, that thread is a decade old with only 2k requests, and unity has several million developers using it with hundreds of thousands of games released using. That number is insignificant.

More importantly, it isn't something that is broken, or impeding development in any way, it's just a preference that is easily dealt with.(literally clicking a check box) Conversely, modifying the default and expected behavior would negatively impact a great many developers (myself included), with no actual benefit. Improvements are always a good thing, but this isn't an improvement, it's just a change, and one that doesn't really make sense. Changes are only valuable when they positively impact the majority of users in a meaningful way.

11. Fritsl

Fritsl

I see where you come from, and it's apparently .. hmm not looking much outside this forum :)

Where I come from there's 8,979 ideas up for voting, and this one - which like the rest I wrote apparently is not in sync with the hard core users who knows what's significant and good in here - at number 12, including all, also "under development". There is a slight indication that I'm not alone, you see.

And it's categorized as "Planned", so maybe you should warn Unity staff how bad and insignificant this is before they make the mistake of not checking with the locals in here who knows what's significant and good etc?

Now, in YOUR OPINION it may not be good, but in the vast majority of users this - as most else of what i wrote - is very much needed.

I re-opened this tread because I was just again struck with how much of a disconnect there is in here with what's going on out in the studios where people make games with any engine - It's amazing how one hears the same over and again, and then enter the inner circles here to 'learn' how 'bad ideas' this is..

There's a strange atmosphere in here, may not be haters, but it's certainly not friendly and open or focused on the majority of users.

(I really wanted this tread deleted but was told I could not have it, it was recreated against my will, which in itself is completely silly)

Let's all get a life now :D Cheers!

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

A little under 3,000 is not the vast majority of users. Like @zombiegorilla mentioned it's a simple check box click and one that people who are used to it have come to expect to do. Changing it means that they will have to unlearn what they've been doing the whole time just so that a mere fraction of the user base can be a little lazier.

You're looking at the placement. That's not representative of anything other than that entry having the 12th highest number of votes. Back in 2016 Unity announced they had 5.5 million developers. A mere 3,000 would only be 0.05% of the total developers. That's not majority. At best that's a "rounding error" worth of developers.

By the way you can commit your entire allotment of votes to one entry. That entry could have as few as 300 people.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Martin_H likes this.
  13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It is indeed my opinion, but has not has nothing to do the forums, it is based on working with Unity for many years professionally, and in/with some the largest studios in the world. There are a vast many areas for improvement in Unity, and things that are preferential aren't even on our radar, especially if they modify unessecarily, especially when you have live games that are in active development and have been for many years.

A few forum posts and feedback threads do not represent a vast majority of users, by any stretch of the imagination. Unity actively discusses and gets feedback from developers very regularly. And while suggesting things is always a good thing, continually campaigning for it isn't going to be very productive. Remember, your opinions are also just your opinions, you don't speak for anyone other than yourself.

Martin_H likes this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Voted no. I don't think the right kind of staff to work at Unity would abuse moderators, try to play power games and then make reddit threads.

Martin_H, Dustin-Horne and Ryiah like this.
  15. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I think OP is being a bit naïve. You might use Unity a lot and have all sorts of ideas to make your specific user experience more convenient, and by all means sharing and discussing your ideas is what a forum is all about, but thinking you are owed a job because you have some random ideas and nothing concrete implemented is just infuriating.

To me, naïveté connotes that you don't know what you don't know. In short, nothing is so simple. Dial down the ego and try to learn all the complexities of what is really involved, and then have a useful discussion with the professionals who actually make things happen.

Who knows, maybe if you learn how to communicate like that and continue on with your work/learning you could be in a position to actually work on a team that implements such changes.

16. ADNCG

ADNCG

OP's banned/suspended and can't defend himself but this topic has derailed towards his attitude/him in general. This thread not being locked is a joke.

Unless he isn't and the reddit post isn't up to date. In this case, forget what I said! :rolleyes:

17. N1warhead

N1warhead

L
    O
    L

Is all I can say haha.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There are at least 6 posts from the OP which have been deleted, which you cannot see. But I agree, the thread has reached the end of it's life.

Martin_H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.