Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

16k Mipmap Bug

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by JohnnyFactor, Aug 20, 2021.

1. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

EDIT: Disregard for now as this seems to be related to an asset from the store. I'll update if anything changes.

Original Post:
    I have a quad with a 16k texture with mipmaps in albedo slot (it's a tabletop strategy map). The texture will jump between mipmap0 (16k) and mipmap1(8k) seemingly at random regardless of distance, scene view, game view, play mode or otherwise. Even just passing the mouse cursor over the scene window makes it flicker back and forth. It is both intermittent and unpredictable.

I have tried the Standard shader, unlit shader, and custom shader using Amplify and they all exhibit this behaviour. It also occurs on 16k normal maps. I have tried -force-d3d12 without any difference.

The only thing that works is reimporting without mipmaps. Unfortunately, this makes Unity crash 100% of the time. In fact, enabling or disabling mipmaps on any 16k texture after the flickering starts causes Unity to crash.

I would normally file a bug report but my project is 35GB so I thought I would check here first for known issues.

Unity 2020.3.12 up to 2020.3.16
    DX11 Standalone mode
    Windows 10

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021