Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] ProtoSprite - Rapid 2D Art!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by camisadostudios, Aug 21, 2023.

1. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Overview
    ProtoSprite is an easy to use Unity Editor (2022.2+) tool to help you design & prototype 2D worlds fast, with minimal friction and tight Unity integration. Rapidly create, draw and edit sprites directly in the Scene View in the context of your Scene. Utilizing PNGs for maximum compatibility and not adding any unnecessary component clutter to GameObjects. Great for prototypes, pixel art, game jams and greyboxing.

Create & Duplicate

Quickly create a new GameObject with a SpriteRenderer and a linked texture (PNG) file. Use the duplicate button to duplicate the texture to create variants or simple frame based animation.

Paint, Erase & Fill
    Draw on the Sprite's texture directly in the Scene View. Allowing you to paint in the context of your Scene. Viewing changes immediately across all instances of the texture.

Resize
    Allows you to move each edge of the SpriteRenderer to increase or decrease the associated texture’s size. Automatically updating the Sprite’s pivot point so that it stays in the same place relative to where it was before the resize.

Pivot
    Swiftly adjust the Sprite’s pivot point, optionally allowing for snapping to pixel perfect intervals.

Select/Move
    Select a rectangle area on the sprite, then you can move those selected pixels around the sprite. Rotate 90°, flip horizontally/vertically or copy/paste/cut using Ctrl/Cmd + C/V/X.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    SuchlikeSleet29 and mgear like this.
  2. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Now available on the itch store and should be coming to Unity Asset Store next week.

3. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

4. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

v1.1.2 brings a couple of small helpful drawing features:
    • New square brush shape available for paint and erase tools.
    • Easily draw straight lines by holding shift and clicking to draw a line from the previous to current cursor positions.

5. quz5

quz5

嗨,我可以设置这条车道吗? upload_2023-10-2_10-9-46.png use shift.

Attached Files:

6. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Pixel perfect lines when drawing with 1 pixel brush size?

This is something I've thought about and I think would require replacing the current implementation with Bresenham's line algorithm. I'm not sure how well this would work performance wise but perhaps it could be done as an exception when the brush size is 1. I'll have to look into this further to see what can be done.

7. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

I'm thinking I'll add a bresenham's line implementation for 1 pixel thick lines drawn when holding shift. This is a short gif of before and after the change. It makes sure there aren't L shapes in the line (a pixel can have a neighbour in a column or row but not both), ensuring the line is pixel perfect.
    ProtoSprite Pixel Perfect Lines.gif

Bvenjamin and quz5 like this.
  8. quz5

quz5

i like this ^^^^^^^^^^
    There is another request. Can you add another operation to the select tool: when selecting a moving shape, the original shape can be retained(just ctrl c/v not ctrl x)

9. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

I've had a look into it. The system image clipboard buffer isn't available in Unity though (only the string/text clipboard via EditorGUIUtility.systemCopyBuffer) I might try implementing a local clipboard, but it wouldn't work going in and out of Unity. But could still be quite useful.

10. quz5

quz5

Thank you very much for your dedication to improving the tools ^^

11. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Thanks for your kind words!

The next update 1.1.5 will have some small improvements to the select tool such as rotating in 90 degree increments, flipping horizontally/vertically and local (within Unity) copy/paste/cut using Ctrl/Cmd + C/V/X.

quz5 likes this.
  12. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

1.1.6 released
    • Duplicate sprite feature now allows you to either copy the whole texture or just the isolated sprite when duplicating on a sprite that's from a multisprite texture (sprite mode is Multiple). This is useful if you want to extract a sprite from a multisprite texture into its own texture to use it to create variants or animation etc.

13. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

1.1.7 released
    • Paint and Fill tools: Pressing the Space bar when the Scene view is the active window will activate the eye dropper for the paint color.

14. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

ProtoSprite 1.2 will have a color palette feature, reducing a lot of the friction of selecting colors. You'll be able to load color palettes from textures or from the active sprite. Edit, add and remove colors, and also save/export color palettes as PNGs.

ProtoSprite Color Palette.png

15. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

1.2.0 released.
    • Color palettes. Allowing for much faster selection of colors for painting/filling and no more spamming the eye dropper!
    • Quickly load color palettes from the active selection. Either a texture in the project browser or from the active sprite you're drawing on in the scene view.
    • Save/export custom color palettes as PNGs.
    • Edit, duplicate or remove colors from a color palette.

16. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

50% off on itch over this weekend for Black Friday: here

17. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Release notes:

• New tool: Creation Tool. This tool allows you to quickly create new sprites by clicking and dragging out a rect in the scene view.
    • Brush outlines now dynamically have white or black pixels depending on the background in order to provide maximum contrast and increase visibility.
    • Added brush outline to help with visibility for the erase tool and when resizing with the brush tool.
    • Added feature to load the default color palette. Use the "Load palette from selection" button when no object is selected.

18. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Adding a freehand pixel perfect line drawing algorithm (Pixel perfect mode). Coming to version 1.2.4.

Pixel perfect mode PS.gif

cider0318 likes this.
  19. cider0318

cider0318

Hi, do you plan to add features like stamps and smoothing?

20. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Hey,

Being able to use a custom image for the brush is planned. I don't have a time frame for this though, but it is on my list.

For smoothing, if you mean a hardness/smoothness slider for a circle brush etc so you can draw anti-aliased strokes then this is something I'd like to look into at some point, but isn't currently planned. I can see it could be useful for quickly drawing sketches which might be very helpful for people.

21. cider0318

cider0318

I'll buy it!

22. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

Awesome! I hope you enjoy using it!

I’m investigating adding a custom brush feature for the next update. It will make it so a custom sprite can be used as a stamp/brush. It will be pretty basic to begin with, but it already seems to allow for lots of interesting painting that would have been difficult to achieve using only the default circle and square brushes.

cider0318 likes this.
  23. camisadostudios

camisadostudios

1.2.6 Allows for custom sprites to be used as brushes and the next version (1.2.7) will allow scaling of custom brushes (among a few other cool things like alpha blending, alt color picker, pixel perfect support for larger brushes)

ProtoSprite art tool for unity.gif

cider0318 likes this.