Search Unity

Utilities Proxima Inspector: Remotely inspect and edit gameObjects!

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by virtualmaker, Nov 7, 2022.

1. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

Proxima lets you connect to your live game from a web browser to inspect and edit any property.

Once you create a build with Unity, you lose access to editor tools like the Inspector. This limitation makes it hard to monitor for problems and diagnose issues while playtesting your game, running studies, or giving demos. I've especially experienced this frustration in mobile and VR builds.

To tackle this problem, I've been building Proxima Inspector. Your game hosts an HTTP server that you can connect to from any browser on your local network. Each webpage corresponds to a different editor feature that I wish I had access to from a built game.

Website | Store | Documentation | Demo | Discord

========= FEATURES ============

Inspector:
    View and edit every game object and property in your scene, similar to the editor.

Logs:
    View live logs and download them for later viewing.

Console: Easily write custom commands into your game that can be invoked from the console page.

Thanks! I'd appreciate any feedback about how you might use Proxima and suggestions on new features to add.

For questions and support, join the Discord: https://discord.gg/VM9cWJ9rjH

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    BetaMark likes this.
  2. BetaMark

BetaMark

Very cool! I was actually really concerned about how I was literally in the middle of writing my own custom tools to debug runtime scenes, but Proxima seems like a much more complete solution.

Are you planning to offer a SaaS + SDK option so that I can just drop in the component and then login to a hosted secure platform to vie my various running builds (which have this enabled)?

3. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

That's an interesting option to consider if there's enough demand. Do you have a scenario in mind for monitor multiple devices at once, and does it require going through the internet?

4. BetaMark

BetaMark

I was thinking that during my early alpha testing of my multiplayer game -- I'd love to be able to observe (and perhaps tinker with / fix) reproducible bugs without the player needing to have video capture + stream.

5. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

Happy New Year! It’s been a while, but don’t worry! I’ve been making steady progress and have some good news to share.

Part of my time was spent working on an update for my first asset Flexalon 3D Layouts. It's been getting some great responses, so you should check it out!

Proxima is nearly complete and will be available soon. Hopefully this month, depending on how long it takes to get through the store approval process.

Here's what Proxima looks like today:

There will be three major features available on release:

GameObject Inspector
    • View, reparent, and delete gameObjects in the Hierarchy
    • Support for additive scenes and changing scenes
    • View and edit a gameObject’s name, layer, tag, and active state
    • View and edit primitive component properties (bool, int, float, string, Vector3, etc.).
    • View arrays and object references
    • Low overhead - Proxima scans up to 10 gameObjects per frame for changes, allowing it to work on scenes of any size.
    Logs
    • Pause and Resume the log stream.
    • See full log with call stack (if enabled)
    • Collapse similar logs
    • Filter by error, warning, info
    • Filter by search query
    • Download the Unity log file (if enabled)
    • Load the Unity log file for easy viewing
    Console
    • Powerful command line window with tab completion and history
    • Create your own commands easily with the [ProximaCommand] attribute.
    • Several useful built-in commands.
    Tested Platforms: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android (including Quest 2),
    Tested Scripting Backends: IL2CPP and Mono
    Tested API Compatibility: .NET Standard 2.1 and .NET Framework
    Security: HTTPS for encryption. Game data is secured behind a password.

Other Features

The Performance and Screen Capture features will not be available on launch. These features simply need more time to be fully useful and reliable. I believe the Inspector, Logs, and Console features will offer developers great value, so I want to release them ASAP. I've been using these features in my own debugging, and I already can't imagine how I did things before.

Thanks for your support! Let me know if you have any feedback!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    BetaMark likes this.
  6. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

Good news everyone! Proxima has been submitted for Asset Store approval.

Based on Unity's estimates, I'm expecting Proxima to be approved somewhere between Feb 28 and Mar 16. Sign up for the newsletter at unityproxima.com to know when it happens.

I will have a few voucher codes available on release. If you're interested in getting Proxima for free in exchange for feedback and a review, please email me (see support link at unityproxima.com)

Thanks for your support!

7. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

We're almost there:

In the meanwhile, I've updated the Virtual Maker discord server to include Proxima Inspector. Join here to see updates, ask questions, and let me know how you'll use Proxima:

https://discord.gg/VM9cWJ9rjH

8. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

Here's a sneak peak of the product video:

9. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

10. virtualmaker

virtualmaker

UPDATE 1.2 NEW FEATURES:
    • WebGL Support: You can now open Proxima Inspector from a WebGL build! From the Proxima Connect UI, click "Open in Browser" to open Proxima in a new tab. This implementation uses a BroadcastChannel in the browser to communicate with your app, so Proxima must be running in the same browser as the Unity app.
    • Serializable Structs and Classes: You can now view any struct or class marked as [Serializable] in the Proxima Inspector! Nested objects and arrays of objects are fully supported.
    • ProximaButton Attribute: Add the [ProximaButton("Button Name")] attribute to MonoBehaviour methods to add a buttons in the Proxima inspector. Instructions at unityproxima.com/docs/buttons.
    • Deep Links: New query parameters can be appended to the Proxima URL:
      • 'pass' - Automatically connect with the provided password.
      • 'page' - Navigate to page 'inspector', 'logs', or 'console' after connecting.
      • 'go' - Select a gameObject by name after connecting.
      • 's' - Set the search filter on the inspector page.
      • 'collapsed' - Collapse the navigation menu.
      • 'run' - Immediately run console command.
      • For examples, see: https://www.unityproxima.com/docs/deeplinks
    • Show Hidden Checkbox: By default, Proxima respects hideFlags for GameObjects and Components. There is a new checkbox on the inspector page to show these hidden objects.
    • Start Screen: Added a new start screen where you can view the latest changes, access documentation, and provide feedback.

Release Notes: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/proxima-runtime-inspector-244788#releases