Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug 1271213 - Low FPS while using the Editor on Linux

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by Deleted User, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not only a19 is running very slowly whether after renaming an object, moving it inside a folder, compiling or entering play mode but I also have ridiculously low fps on a project that contains only a few primitives and two scripts, one attached to each primitive and one added to an empty game object.

Take a look:

Capture d’écran_2020-08-04_20-51-06.png

I dare hoping that the team is working on this problem, too many people are having it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2020
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Allô, anybody reading this?

An empty project also runs at the same ridiculous fps:

Capture d’écran_2020-08-05_07-43-17.png

3. lyndon_unity

lyndon_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, It would be super useful if you could report this issue with the bug reporter and include a simple reproduction case. (Your empty project sounds ideal). That way we have more contextual information about platform and other settings which might impact the performance and we can track investigations and outcomes.

LeonhardP and vickycl like this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm going to do that but I doubt my bug report will have any effect.

I just installed a18 and noticed that an empty project created with it also runs at this awful fps. I'm currently installing a7 (the oldest version available), I'll test an empty project with it.

Edit: the project created with a7 runs at... ta da! with vsync on:

Capture d’écran_2020-08-05_18-40-50.png
    Shall I join it with the bug report? Yes, I think I shall.

Edit 2: I think the problem I describe here (https://forum.unity.com/threads/202...fall-smoothly-compared-to-2020-2-0a15.925751/) is related to that ridiculous fps; I didn't check that at the time.

Edit 3: Last test made in a15 this time. The empty project runs 10 times slower with vsync on than the same in a7, which is normal, my screen refreshing at 120 Hz.

All tests made within the last hour, on the same computer under the same OS.

Which ones must I send for comparison with my a19 report? The one made in a15 seems the most logical.

And thank you for trying to help. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2020
  5. lyndon_unity

lyndon_unity

Unity Technologies

A reproduction case on the latest or first to show slowdown is sufficient. (Either A15 or A19 is fine)
    State the version where it was faster e.g a7 and we can try the same test there to confirm we can reproduce the same effect.

Include as much info as you can about your software (platform, os version, unity version) and hardware setup (numbr of cores, processor type, etc) as this can be an important factor in performance issues. The bug reporter will try and fill in what it can but the more information we have the better we can react to your specific situation.

And if you post a reference to the bug id here when you've raised it and then I can also quickly view it myself while its being initially processed

Thanks

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks to you! :)

After adding an fps counter and floating objects to it and building the a19 test project, it appears that it runs at an almost steady 60 fps and the falling objects fall smoothly.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I haven't reported the problem yet. I found out that there is already a tracker about a very similar problem that is supposed to be fixed in a21: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/macos-editor-has-very-low-frame-rate-in-a-new-project

How long time before a21 is released?

For now, I'm tired of this, I'm rolling back to a15. :)

8. jjejj87

jjejj87

I know that the Unity Devs will hate me for this but I will say it anyway.

I really don't like that the devs are just waiting for us users to prove that there is something wrong - pretty much just waiting for us to send in a repo project. I am not trying to say that the devs are not doing their job, but that there is something fundamentally wrong with the bug-fix cycle.

I've sent in some repo cases in the past to fix issues like this before, but every time I do it, I can't help feeling why nobody in Unity noticed stuff like this before release. I mean, this isn't happening because it is Alpha, or Beta, it happens everywhere. It is also not like the bugs are a combination of rare cases. Most bugs are pretty much simple things we notice as we turn it on like:
    - strange error logs in the console and usually spamming the log
    - obvious loading time increases and general response times
    - crashing in the first five minutes
    - crashing during asset import

Maybe the devs should really revise the QA process and decrease these obvious issues from happening. To you devs, we might be one of many clients, but to us, Unity is the one engine that we rely on. So please consider it. Thanks

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm terribly disappointed; it's still happening in a21. The image below shows the fps in the game view although the vsync is disabled in a completely new and empty project. Enabling vsync doesn't change a thing:

Capture d’écran_2020-08-21_09-42-52.png
    I'm going to file a bug report; I'll post its number here.

I don't see how my hardware could be important since this doesn't happen in a15 though; this happens from a16 to a21 included.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here you go!

(Case 1272076)

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

My bug report was accepted and reproduced in Ubuntu 18.04: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/linux-editor-has-low-performace-in-playmode-on-a-new-project

What puzzles me though is that nobody using one of the versions of Unity having this problem under Ubuntu never showed themselves on the forums. Is it that they didn't notice or is it that nobody uses Unity alpha with Ubuntu? Or do they just complain elsewhere and whine that "Unity is crap"! "... cannot process billions of polygons on screen at an impressive frame rate,!" :p

Thanks Unity QA for not dumping my bug report! ;)

adamgolden likes this.
  12. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

I also get this same bug but as a fellow smelly mint user ;), have to wait and hope someone from the ubuntu master race has the same issue and logs it. Thankfully someone did (1271213). Apparently still not fixed in latest a21 though.

13. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

adamgolden likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you. :) Will we get the fix before 2020.2 gets out of alpha?

15. adamgolden

adamgolden

Probably not - looks like next update is the first beta, going by Known Issues list https://unity3d.com/alpha/2020.2a

LeonhardP likes this.
  16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

b1 and b2 have both already been cut off and are currently going through internal testing so unfortunately the earliest the fix could land would be b3.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great, I'm done with alpha testing then.

I hope 2020.3 alpha won't come with that same problem.

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

There will be no 2020.3 alpha, only a 2020.3 LTS.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just a different name for the same thing.

20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Not really, LTS will normally not get any major new features but an alpha release does.

21. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

The next alpha release is expected to be the 2021.1, 2020.3 (as it is LTS) should come when 2021 gets finally released next year.

LeonhardP likes this.
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Confirmed: problem not fixed in 2020.2.0b2.

23. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Update: we're still working out issues with the fix before it can land. Earliest possible release with the fix would currently be b5.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the update. When is the next Alpha due?

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not fixed in b5! How long will we have to wait more?

26. castor76

castor76

Please create/move the linux only topic to the other thread. This bug fix that is supposed to come isnt related to the original thread topic. It will only confuse some people.

FakeByte likes this.
  27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Still not fixed in 2020.2.0b6.

goncalo-vasconcelos and JuDelCo like this.
  28. drallcom3

drallcom3

He said earliest. If you use a beta you need to bring some patience.

29. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately there's still more issues related to the root problem that need to be solved before the fix can land. I can't give you a timeline for when to expect the fix, right now I can only tell you that it won't be fixed before b8, since b7 has already been cut 5 days ago.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the heads up.

I just hope that thing won't be in the next Alpha... :)

LeonhardP likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not fixed in 2020.2.0b8 and it's been ported to 2021.1 alpha...

32. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We're getting there. The fix is in the merge queue for 2021.1. Once it lands and has been verified, it will also be backported to 2020.2. Earliest possible versions with the fix would be 2021.1a3 and 2020.2b10 at the moment.