Search Unity

(1135106) Input.GetButtonDown on iOS fires multiple times

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by AcidArrow, Mar 8, 2019.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Case 1135106

Input.GetButtonDown on iOS with an MFi controller fires every frame the button is held down, instead of firing just once.

Please fix it, this breaks MFi support as it's almost impossible to press a button and have it fire once, without completely retooling our code to avoid using GetButtonDown.

(android devices with Android controllers work fine)

2. TomekLKE

TomekLKE

Hey, I have similar problem with Siri Remote. Did you find a solution ? There is also a bug report on that I found, but no information beyond that.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We ended up not using GetButtonDown, since we couldn't wait for Unity to be bothered to fix basic functionality.

4. TomekLKE

TomekLKE

Just for anyone with this problem, I found a workaround using bool locks. The idea is to setup a bool for each button, and initialise them to true. Then in GetButtonDown do a check and return if the flag is false, also set the actual bool to false line after these two lines will ignore any other than the first reading of this input. Then in GetButtonUp for corresponding button set it to true again (this event is called correctly).

5. paulrts

paulrts

We're experience a similar issue; selected UI buttons are being clicked repeatedly when holding a gamepad button to 'submit' via standalone input module.

@TomekLKE did you experience this, or have a different workaround for this?

6. TomekLKE

TomekLKE

We only had this issues with Siri remote, but I saw some bug reports on the same behaviour on controller. Basically GetButtonDown fires every frame the button is down, like it was GetButton instead.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I just looked up the bug report I did. It’s still open, but there are no updates.

I’m guessing since they are working on new input stuff they no longer bother fixing regressions for old input stuff, but since they will never finish the new input I guess we will never get something that works.

It’s the Unity cycle all over again.

8. BaronBoese

BaronBoese

@TomekLKE Surely we can code around broken functionality but honestly, why don't we just get rid of the GetButtonUp() and GetButtonDown() functions altogether? The GetButton() functions are the only ones working as advertised anyways.

9. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I'm using Unity 2019.2.1f1. I can confirm GetButtonDOwn, GetButtonUp, GetKeyDown, GetKeyUp behave weirdly in Editor, and not work at all in Build. This is quite frustrating...

EDIT
    I did a complete un-install Unity, and install it again. It works now.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  10. TomekLKE

TomekLKE