Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[1099137] Raycast stops working for some time when colliders are enabled or change

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by forestrf, Dec 8, 2018.

1. forestrf

forestrf

I'm creating a thread for this physics bug given that seems serious but has not been reproduced yet. Maybe there are problems reproducing it, and that is why I tried to make it simpler and to the point to help with that.
    The problem is that raycasts stop working correctly after a collider changes or is enabled, but after certain ammount of time (that looks random) the raycasts work well again.

The bug can be seen in the next video. The white line represents a raycast and only is drawn when it hits something. The line must not dissapear in this case, but it does. After changing some colliders in the scene the bug stops happening, but you can't trust raycasts as the bug appears random in more complex scenes.

The scene shown in the video is attached to this post as an Unitypackage.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

LeonhardP likes this.
  2. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

This wasn't yet processed by QAs, but I've downloaded the package you attached here and seem to be able to repro. Looks surprising, is this a regression? I couldn't repro in Unity 2018.1 locally.

forestrf likes this.
  3. forestrf

forestrf

I don't know if it is a regression. I noticed this problem in 2018.3 and given that it received a Physx update I thought that it may be related, so I didn't test it with other versions.

It is a strange bug. I Noticed it because, while jumping with my character in my game, a sentry that uses raycasts to shoot stopped working for several seconds.

Edit 2018-12-12: Issued fixed and will be released in Unity 2018.3.0f2.
    Thank you!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Epiplon likes this.