Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

100+ new errors from project that never had them before...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Emperor, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Emperor

Emperor

I have a project that I haven't touched for a month but now I opened it and there's more than 100+ errors. Most errors seems to be something like this:

" The type or namespace name 'UI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?) The type or namespace name 'UI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

Setup:
    -Macbook Air 2015
    -MacOS Mojave
    -Unity 2019.3.5f1 Personal

What I've tried:
    -Re-import all -> no success
    -Reboot machine/restart unity -> no success
    -Delete and re-install UI package from the package manager-> no success
    -Change vs studio to vs code -> no success
    -Try to downgrade to unity 2018 -> no success
    -Bang my head on the wall in desperation -> success (jk)

please help! I don't want to lose my project!

2. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @Emperor,

Maybe you can try the next steps:
    1. Close your project
    2. Delete Temp and Library folders
    3. Open your project again

I hope it helps!

3. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Are you using a different version of Unity then when you last opened the project?

4. Emperor

Emperor

5. Emperor

Emperor

I downloaded 2019.4.9f1 just now and tried to open the project with it and unity just crash with no error message

6. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @Emperor,

Unfortunately what I'm going to recommend is not probably what you expect, but is the way that I think you can found the real issue with your project in order to solve it.
    1. First of all, check if you can create a completely new and empty project to be sure that is nothing related to the Unity installation.
    2. The second step is to include in such a new project the same packages that you're using in the project that you are currently unable to work with (you can use the Packages/manifest.json file for this purpose).
    3. If everything is fine, the next step is to import the same plugins that you're using from the Asset Store.
    4. Add the other 3rd party code that you're using on the broken project if any.
    5. Include next all the custom scripts that are exclusive for your particular project.
    6. Finally, add all the other assets.
    The idea is to find in which step the problem is reproducible for you to narrow down your search to the conflicting files or assets.

More likely you will have to subdivide the previous steps in smaller chunks once you're able to reproduce the issue in the new project.

For example, if you find that the problem appears while adding your custom scripts (step 5), you can remove them and add them gradually (maybe folder by folder).

Another thing that you can do is to check the Editor log to see if you have any relevant information after your last test, when the Editor just crashed.

You can check more information about the Editor log here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

Good luck with it!