Search Unity

100% Crashing When Loading Project

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Hero101, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Hero101

Hero101

As of today, Unity crashes whenever I try to load a project that was made with my current version (2017.3.03f). It'll open projects made with older versions of Unity. Everything was working fine 2 days ago, haven't updated anything since then, but now it fails 100% of the time between a few projects I've made with this version.

Any idea what is going on?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread. I couldn't figure out the best place to post this. I'll happily move it to another location if you prefer.

#Edit 1: I suppose I could try updating to the newest version...I'm just always hesitant to do so while halfway through development of a project.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Have you tried opening a new blank project?

3. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

First, use the new Unity Hub that is in beta but is working fine. This tool gives more control on updating Unity.
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/01/24/streamline-your-workflow-introducing-unity-hub-beta/
    From there you can update to Vr 2017.4 and probably make Unity much more stable.
    In my experience is better to update Unity to the final stable stage. So in this case, you are working in 2017, is better to update to 2017.4 that is the final one. At that point you know that is not Unity but is something wrong with your Assets.
    In extreme cases when a particular project is not loading you can make a copy. Take out from the copy all the content that is in Assets and open the project. Then start bringing in folders one by one until you hit the point where Unity does not open. Can it be a .dll? So that you isolate the problem and now you are ready to go to the other project and take out the .dll
    Try to keep Windows and driver updated

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

For most people. For some people like me it's nothing but trouble. I have to fight it to get it to download any releases. :(

5. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Hoo. :( @Ryiah Hmm.. Can it be the Nano Adblocker and Nano Defender? Under windows10 using a standard user with no admin privilege is better to install it for all users. In this way is installed under the Programs folder [using Administration pass] and not under the Local.
    Try to uninstall and reinstall under Programs.

Also look if Unity is installed under Programs\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.1.0b13\Editor
    and not under local folder.

ps: I'm using Vr 0.15

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. Nano Adblocker and Nano Defender exist only in the browser. I have no troubles downloading the hub itself through the browser. Trying to download and install releases through the hub is where the source of the problems lie.

Some people are able to temporarily solve the problem by reinstalling the hub, but it's simply far more effective and far less time consuming to ignore the hub and manually install the releases needed.

We'll see what happens in a few releases. I know eventually I'll end up with it, but it's simply not ready yet.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018