Search Unity

100% CPU, 100% GPU, What is going on...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by erpatton, May 10, 2018.

1. erpatton

erpatton

I've been using Unity 2017.3.1f1 on this computer for a while now, and it's been running perfectly fine. I just recently bought a 4k monitor, so I've got two 1920x1080 monitors connected via HDMI and the 3840x2160 monitor connected via DisplayPort.

I opened up Unity, and I noticed it was lagging. Badly. I couldn't even click on anything. I thought maybe it was not responding, but my click finally registered a good 30 seconds after I made it. I thought maybe the editor was messing up, so I made a new project with nothing in it except a scene with one single cube. Even that was lagging badly, so I built it out to an exe to try it. Here's what my CPU and GPU are at with that simple scene:

I tried running it on a different monitor, and while it was slightly better, it was still insanely laggy.

What in the world is going on here? I've got 32 GB RAM, a GTX 1080 with 8 GM RAM, and an i7-6700K 4 GHz. It can't be that my computer can't handle 4k resolution, so something else must be happening here that was introduced by adding this monitor..

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I believe I did read about the 100% GPU utilization before and if I remember correctly, it was caused due to having vsync turned off in the quality settings.

3. erpatton

erpatton

Vsync is turned on :( It's a brand new project with no changes made to it at all to test if this was an issue with my actual project or not.Literally just a scene file with one cube saved in it in the entire project.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I dont have the answer but is there a very specific reason you are on Unity 2017.3.1f1 and not 2017.4.X ? 2017.4 is the LTS version, there is no reason to be on a 2017.x version other than the LTS version, and migrating to that will include months of bug fixes that you currently dont have. That would be my first point of call.

Peter77 likes this.
  5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Not at all helpful, did you sign up to the forums today just to come and troll people looking for actual solutions to their problems?

6. erpatton

erpatton

I'll upgrade to that version once I'm back from work to see if it resolves the issues, thanks!

7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No problem, post back if it does / does not! :)

8. erpatton

erpatton

It turns out it was a pending Windows update that must have messed with something. After applying the update and restarting, everything went back to normal!