Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

10 seconds of black before Splash Screen on Android

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Mison, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Mison

Mison

Application loading on android takes some time, but most of the time I only see black and then appears the Splash Screen. Would it be possible to show an image or some kind of progress bar instead of just the black?

(video shot on android emulator, but real devices behave the same)

fazhom likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What is the device you are using? Is it quite a slow/old one or do you have a large first scene? 10 secs seems like a long time, we do require a certain amount of pre loading before we can show the splash. Have you tried adding an image to the android specific splash screen setting? This should load first

3. Mison

Mison

The video above is from an emulator running on quite high-end PC. I've tested on LG G Pad 8.3 (few years old device, but normally not slow) with similar results (about 10 secsonds). This is a testing project and the first scene is just 4 UI buttons (as you might see on the video). Setting Android Splash Screen didn't do anything (it didn't show).

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Did this happen with the old 5.3/5.4 splash screen?

5. Mison

Mison

The black is there for a shorter time (about 7 seconds, but this is not the same project - this uses fabric.io), and the white "Made with Unity" screen shows with an loading indicator in top left corner (Show Loading indicator is set to "Small").

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sounds like there could be a bug with the android splash although I suspect the fabric.io is causing the issues. I will have to look at how it works to see what we can do.

7. Mison

Mison

Sorry, I wrote it in a wrong way. This project (the one in the video) is my testing project and doesn't use any SDKs. In this one it shows 10 seconds of black and then the Splash Screen.

The project I tested with earlier version of Unity ("not the same") uses fabric.io, so without fabric.io it might be even shorter than 7 seconds (I don't have a project to try now).

karl_jones likes this.
  8. Holassian

Holassian

I'm having the same issue. I'm testing my project in Sony Z3 compact that is fast enough.

This video was captured by my Z3 Compact immediately after I clicked on the app icon.

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The video is private. Did the problem happen in the old 5.3/5.4 splash screen?

10. Holassian

Holassian

Sorry,

In Unity 5.3.3p2 inmmediatly after clicking the app icon, shows "made with unity" and after a second the app starts.

Tanek likes this.
  11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Could you test if it happens if you dont use a background or any custom logos and just show the Made with Unity logo? It could be that the logo images are taking extra time to load in.

12. Holassian

Holassian

With the default config (no logos, just mwu) is faster, but not as fast as the 5.3.3p2. Moreover, the sprites used in the videos are basic sprites that are 85KB each.

Attached Files:

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hmm ok. I'll test it out locally and see if I can recreate the issue. Maybe there is something specific to Android we can do to speed things up.

Holassian likes this.