Search Unity

10 Great Free Resources List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mixamo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Mixamo

Mixamo

Hey everyone,

We just compiled a list of the top 10 free resources for indie devs. Many of our users are making game/apps for little or no cost up front at all. We thought it would be helpful to perhaps share some of these freebies for those who might not know of them all.

You can check it out here: Mixamo Top 10 Free Resources

Also if you can think of any other awesome free tools please let us know and share!

2. U7Games

U7Games

Very good .. thanks :D

3. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Thanks! Now you should upload the top 100 :D.

4. ivanzu

ivanzu

5. Mixamo

Mixamo

Top100! Sounds like a challenge to me!

6. henry96

henry96

Wow! Thanks 4 sharing. It's so useful. :D

7. taumel

taumel

Some of these free tools are quite limited, even frustrating thinking of Audacity, therefore i suggest doing such a list in three steps: a) completely free, b) you need to shell out some little money, c) pro for the case this aspect really matters to you. This would make more sense to me. As an example: Why should someone use Gimp on OS X when he can use Pixelmator for $30? This and doing a little bit more research as there are a number of tools missing for supporting the whole pipeline. As i bashed one audio tool, let me add another one: sfxr/cfxr (win, os x)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  8. LordJulian

LordJulian

I am already using some of the programs listed on the top 10, but the others seemed like a viable option for my graphic portfolio, thanks!

9. Mixamo

Mixamo

@taumel This is only the first collection. Perhaps the next can be low price and the final one pro level tools.

10. taumel

taumel

I just think a useful list needs to be done the way i described it. Otherwise it's not flexible enough and you'll outgrow it rather quickly. Obviously you also would need to update it.

11. Mixamo

Mixamo

@Taumel, Thanks for the input but that's why we're planning a low or simple budget version and then a pro version to follow up with.

On the other hand sfxr and cfxr are pretty neat but they are not replacements for Audacity. They are limited to a certain genre and are not true audio editing programs. At least with Audacity you can edit voice tracks, sound effects and layer together sounds and music. It's not the best but free is free.

12. flamy

flamy

wow really nice post!! :) thanks a lot

13. taumel

taumel

As i wrote i think your concept could be improved but do it the way you want, it's your time. I didn't suggest ?fxr as replacements for Audacity but they come in very handy for a number of use cases. Audacity can be replaced by various other tools but again, do as you please. I just shivered when i saw it and had to remember the time when i tried it.

14. Mixamo

Mixamo

I would welcome a replacement paid or not. Someone might find it useful not just me.

15. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

For a hobbiest, Audacity is just fine and a great tool to mention for audio (that is free). No tool will appeal to everyone.

16. taumel

taumel

Some people torture other people and some write tools like Audacity and let the people torture themselves.

17. nukeD

nukeD

I've used Audacity to edit audio/voiceovers for TV commercials... that actually aired on TV... for a free tool is the best.
    You might want to check out this bad boy > http://www.reaper.fm/
    its 60$... but even after the trial is over it still works, just pops a reminder.

18. nukeD

nukeD

you can also check these compilations me and other fellow game developers have created over the years:
    link to other forum
    and another forum
    some of the tools you already know, others are dead... and others immortal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  19. Mixamo

Mixamo

Awesome list clandestine, thanks. I'll have to dig through these and expand my knowledge!

20. nukeD

nukeD

glad i can help :)

21. mindlube

mindlube

Nice article! Thanks. I am trying to download Sculptris for Mac, but I get a corrupted tiny .zip file. Does anyone have a good download link to share? Also I don't have ZBrush and don't want to buy it. Is there any way to get Sculptris models into Unity? Like via Blender or .fbx export somehow? Thanks again :)

22. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

You can export models from sculptress as a .OBJ, but you wouldn't want to use them in Unity. They are extremely high poly and the topology isn't the best for animating. Download Sculptris for Mac from here.

23. mindlube

mindlube

Thanks I am aware it produces hi-poly meshes. It could be fun to make some crazy organic looking models, then apply some polygon reduction in my regular 3d tool.

edit: The Mac version is downloading OK now. They must have been having server troubles for a while earlier.

edit2: WOW! for a free tool this is really nice. A poor man's ZBrush I guess.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  24. rockysam888

rockysam888

25. martinRoberts

martinRoberts

This is great, thanks! :)

26. RLBethel

RLBethel

I was looking ant the website. I think I missed something. What is the name of the website that you can get fre sounds and sound effects etc.

27. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

28. goat

goat

Nice list.

I tried out your site. I uploaded some fat Poser human toon model, and with a few small adjustments to the skeleton I added a few animation sequences to a time line and they looked smooth!

I only wish we could attach animations to an upload (there's that whole CMU library you know) and your site would adjust them for us for a simlar fee as above. If the animation was from a public source (which it probably will be if they are using your service) then you guys can add the adjusted animation to your library.

29. ColleneWilson

ColleneWilson

Awesome, thanks a lot for this.

30. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very nice, thanks!