Search Unity

1 Frame Lag With All Control Input. Rage.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TacticalDan, Jul 6, 2013.

1. LightStriker

LightStriker

2. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

That blog post is 4 months old, so I wouldn't be so pessimistic.

3. LightStriker

LightStriker

I guess. However, I don't like the structure they announced. The idea of adding a component on everything that handles input is odd. Why have this duplication of roles?

4. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

there are links on that blog to the latest test version and the feedback forums. Now is the time to politely earbash the devs about stuff not when it comes out :) :p

chelnok, TaleOf4Gamers and KelsoMRK like this.
  5. losingisfun

losingisfun

I dont think this issue has been solved. I have a rather annoying problem where I need to check if the same button has been pushed in a different script, but in order to check, I need to use a 4 frame delay in an IEnumerator, because of the delay. if I use a 3 frame delay, it only has a 50/50 chance of working (script orders, I suppose, not sure why).

If I wanted to create a FPS, I would definitely avoid Unity, no question.

6. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

I have no idea what you're talking about- the issue as described here IIRC doesn't cause a 3-4 frame delay, it causes a delay of precisely 1 frame, and only sometimes. If you have a problem with your input, you should make a thread about it and provide some code and a full description of the problem so that people can try to help you with the issue.

The only way I can imagine that large of a delay with input is if it's being mishandled somewhere outside of Unity, or you're checking a script that's previously checked a script that's previously checked a script that's previously checked a script for the input poll result, and every single one of those scripts is executing in exactly the wrong order. That's not a Unity problem, it's a programming problem.

If you need better input, use Rewired or something. Unity is still 100% fine for FPS games.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  7. losingisfun

losingisfun

I'm using rewired, and I'm definitely getting a 3 frame delay, even with very basic tests.

8. guavaman

guavaman

Please elaborate. Rewired does not have a 3-frame or even 1-frame lag. It processes input values at the beginning of the frame and keeps that value the same throughout the duration of the frame.

If you are seeing a 3-frame lag, you may be getting input in FixedUpdate but do not have Rewired set to update in FixedUpdate, so the value is not updated until the beginning of the next Update frame which may or may not be updated for each FixedUpdate depending on how fast your current frame rate is and what the physics time step is set to.

Another possibility is the device you are using is lagging at the hardware level and the operating system is unable get fresh data from it as quickly as expected.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  9. losingisfun

losingisfun

oops,

yeah, that input was in FixedUpdate, poor oversight on my part. (and solved an annoying problem on my end)