Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[2.3.1][Now open-sourced] Road Creator Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MCrafterzz, Feb 11, 2020.

1. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

NOTE: This will no longer recieve additional updates, therefore I've uploaded it under the MIT license: https://github.com/MarcusElg/Road-Creator-Pro. Feel free to fork it and continue development

Ever wanted a flexible road creation tool? Then this is probably what you are looking for. This tool is built from the ground up to support flexibility, instead of a road that looks exactly the same everywhere you can have different sections with different widths, materials, amount of lanes etc. Give it a try and let me know what you think about it!

Features
    Road Creation

- Quickly create long roads by placing and moving points.
    - Configurable options such as width and material per lane for much greater customization.
    - Use any material.
    - Option to have prefab lines follow the road with configurable offset; use this for example bridges and street lamps.
    - Terrain deformation; choose which intervals of the road that should deform the terrain (or the whole road) to avoid deforming the terrain under bridges.
    - Road preset system to easly store and load road layouts (for example a 4 lane road) so that you don't have to manually add the same lanes all the time.
    - Road guidelines to easly create parallel roads.
    - Configurable LOD generation for maximum performance.
    - Includes multiple road presets such as a 3L road with asphalt median and a 2L road with streetlights and sidewalk.

Prefab Line Tool

- Quickly place lines of prefabs by placing points.
    - Configure options like prefab scale and rotation direction.
    - Option to have a different start and/or end prefab.
    - Option to deform to the terrain as well as the curve.
    - Option to fill the gap between the prefabs for a smooth and connected object (see the concrete barrier above).
    - Possibility to define a min and max spacing value to space out prefabs randomly.
    - Includes a bunch of low poly signs and other road objects.

Bridges

- Includes a bunch of beautiful bridges that easily can be added to any road.
    - Support for any mesh, so you can easily inport your own bridge or tunnel.

Intersections

- Automatically generate an intersection regardless of how many connected roads
    - Change materials, the connection curve and more.
    - Support for terrain deformation.
    - Main roads which allow for a road to look like it's continuing through the intersection.
    - Automatic lane turn markings, you can configure the amount, amount of repetition, distance etc.
    - Options to only connect to parts of the road to avoid connecting to sidewalks, shoulders etc.
    - Option to automatically connect sidewalks, shoulders and other lanes that aren't connected to the main part of the intersection.
    - Options to generate crosswalks
    - Configurable LOD generation for maximum performance.

Other

- Includes a traffic light object to easily add life to your city.
    - Prohibited area tool to add detail to parking lots, highway exits etc
    - Source code included.

Installation Instructions
    1. Double click the .unitypackage file and open it with your current project.
    2. Right click in the hierarchy and click 3D Object > Road System.
    3. Three layers should automatically be created: "Road" "Intersection" and "Prefab Line"
    4. Enable gizmos as you otherwise won't see road points
    5. Click on the create road button to create your first road

Download, Tips & FAQ
    Check out the page on itchio: https://mcrafterzz.itch.io/road-creator-pro

Feedback/bug reports
    The best way is to write a comment here or on the itch.io page. That way other people can see the solution as well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  2. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Any feedback?

3. GCatz

GCatz

interesting, any support for LOD? a real game can get 1mil polygons only for its road
    also post in reddit, the forums are less active then they used to be

MCrafterzz likes this.
  4. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I would recommend trying https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/AutoLOD. Generating lod levels automatically is defiently something to look into, it will take a little while though. Thanks for your ideas, I will post on reddit later.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  5. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Some small inprovements has been implemented:

1.1.0:
    - Added support for physic materials, it is assigned per lane as every lane has it's own mesh
    - Point handles are now rotated when tool rotation mode is set to global, to make it easier to the point in the road's current direction
    - Added help icon, it links to the itchio page where you can ask for help
    - Added a few tooltips

Neviah likes this.
  6. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I have quite a lot to do in real life but I still wanted to publish something so here is a small update with a few useful features.

1.2.0:
    - You can now move control points seperatly by holding down A whilst moving them. This is useful when you want sharp angles, for example for road lines.
    - Added ignore for width calculating option, only available to the most right lane and the lanes that have a lane next to it to the right with the option enabled. Enable this for highway exits for example to avoid it moving the rest of the lanes.

LOD support and trailer will come in a few weeks.

Neviah and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Looks amazing ! Does it allow to go to terrain holes as the new terrain now supports?

MCrafterzz likes this.
  8. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

It should work but give it a try! EDIT: Yes it works

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Neviah likes this.
  9. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Are there any features that you miss that would convince you to buy it?

Neviah likes this.
  10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is there a random function in there?
    Would be nice to make random roads at runtime

11. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I guess it would be possible to create a script that does that but it would require quite a bit of restructuring. As it's a editor tool much of the code is in editor scripts which doesn't exist in runtime, also functions from Handles and HandleUtility are used. This tool is a editor tool that let's you quickly create large and flexible road systems. So you can do a lot with that but it isn't currently built for runtime.

Neviah likes this.
  12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Ok no worries, I was just wondering.
    The tools looks very useful as it is right now, good job!

Neviah likes this.
  13. Neviah

Neviah

I think it looks great.

Few questions:

1. Would you have tutorials available upon release?
    2. Would you have 3rd party integrations like Cscape (makes buildings, and you could use your tool, and have cscape place buildings around your roads)?
    3. Could you handle going through terrain like caves/tunnels?
    4. Could you make partitions in between the road, for like plants/trees placements, etc?

Anyways, hope you stay motivated, it looks amazing so far.

14. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

1. A version is released but yet I want to make some tutorials but first I'll implement LOD support and then make a trailer.
    2. I'm not sure how such an integration would work. I feel like that we would have to implement it together in both tools.
    3. I guess I could implement a feature which creates terrain holes in those locations. Currently you can easly do it manually as the road can go through terrain and you can add holes with the unity terrain tool.
    4. I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you mean. Mind explaining a bit more?

I hope you still will enjoy this tool :D

15. Neviah

Neviah

I'm not sure if I used the word right, but trees/shrubs in the middle of a road:

MCrafterzz likes this.
  16. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Yes! Finally a requested feature that exists :p There is a preset included which has a similar “flower pot” in the middle of the road and you can make a prefab Line of trees following the road with configurable offset, so you could have it in the middle of your road of of to a side. Click the prefab tab when selecting the road and click add new prefab Line.

Edit: you could do the median itself with prefabs as well because then you can have a separate end prefab so that the curb doesn't abruptly end when coming to an intersection.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Neviah likes this.
  17. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Time for another update! This time adding LOD-support as @GCat suggested, and more.

1.3.0:
    - Added LOD support, being defined per road. You can choose how many lod levels you want, the distance they render at and the amount of vertices that the have (vertex count/selected value) and lod levels will automatically be generated and setup.
    - Added lod values for all road presets
    - Redid the curve bending algorithmen so it looks good regardless of how big the object is and how steep the curve is (See picture)
    - Changed default value of terrain extra max height to 1
    - General fixes with terrain modification
    - Smaller bug fixes

1.3.1:
    - Fixed main roads working incorrectly on start intersections

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff, GCatz and Neviah like this.
  18. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

@Neviah You wanted tutorials and that will still come but atleast there's a trailer now:

Neviah likes this.
  19. Neviah

Neviah

It's beautifuuuuuuul

I had one more question, regarding terrain. Does your plugin also deform terrain in case I wanted to put roads on the side of a hill/mountain?

MCrafterzz likes this.
  20. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Yes! You can configure radius etc. The good thing with this system compared to many others it that it lerps towards the height a few units away so it will connect smoothly to the terrain regardless if the terrain around the road is lower or higher than the road. The terrain deformation isn't perfect but with a quick smooth brush you can get good results.

The following was created in 2 minutes:

EDIT: You can choose which intervals that the road should deform the terrain, so it's optional and it allows for situation like the picture above where parts of the road is a bridge.
    EDIT2: I've tried to make the tool as good as possible but I will continue inproving it, so if you have suggested that fit in the scope of the project then I'll do my best to implement them!

If you want to buy it, then here's the link: https://mcrafterzz.itch.io/road-creator-pro

Neviah likes this.
  21. florinel2102

florinel2102

This asset work only with terrain ?

22. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

No you can place it on any mesh but it won't deform the mesh.
    EDIT: it does work in the air as well but that is not recommended

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  23. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Lots of people have shown interest in this asset so the big question that I'm wondering is what would make it worth buying? Are they any missing features that you really would like or isn't the quality high enough or is it something else? I want to make it the best tool possible and that will only happen with your response so let me know!:D And yes tutorials are still coming.

Neviah likes this.
  24. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Ever wanted to space out decals or some other prefabs with random distance? Now you can!

V. 1.4.0:
    - Added possibilities to define a random spacing for prefab lines (min and max). Use this for decals, cones and more.

Also let me know which tutorials you would like to see!

Neviah likes this.
  25. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Using the tool myself I found out that when creating a new road type I spent a lot of time scrolling in the curve editor window to for example change the start width of a lane from 3 to 0. So I decided to do something about it, so now you can edit the value of all keys directly in the editor, speeding up situations like this enourmously! This release also inproves terrain deformation, the results should now look a lot nicer. It does do more calculations now though so let me know how it performs.

- Added option to expose animation curve keys for easy editing (Enabled by default)
    - Better terrain deformation
    - Fixed prefab line percentage being incorrectly calculated causing the y and z-scale curves not matching reality
    - Fixed y-offset sometimes affecting terrain deformation
    - Changed default value for extra max height (terrain deformation) to 3
    - Some small naming tweaks to a few variables

About the tutorials... I really don't feel motivated to work on that right now and I want to spend my free time on things that I enjoy doing like updating this tool. When the community grows then hopefully someone will make a unofficial tutorial.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Prodigga and Neviah like this.
  26. florinel2102

florinel2102

Right now I'm trying asset on unity 2019.3.0f1 (empty project) I'll be back with an edit as soon as I can .

EDIT : same issues

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  27. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Thank you, I will replicate and submit a fix in the nearest 24 hours. I'm very sorry that you're experiencing issue but hope you understand that I can't test every road layout. Creating the first two intersections worked correctly. The problem is when creating a new intersection with a road that already is attached. My guess is that the problem is that the intersection has a reference to the road point and when connecting the new Road the original road is split into two and therefore the connection is broken. I will fix it asap.

28. florinel2102

florinel2102

I perfectly understand issues from asset , that's why i said "it's need a lot of work" , but maybe I was a little angry because I wanted to finish map as soon as possible . By the way prefab line is useful for my project . I'm using again road arhitect , but also I'm waiting your update to change if it's ok .

MCrafterzz likes this.
  29. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I fixed the bug that you reported and I've made my best to inprove usability. If you still think this tool is "terrible" then please let me know what can be inproved and what tasks that are tedious because I want to make this tool as good as possible and want my customers to be pleased.

V. 1.6.0:
    - You can now hold down L while moving a control point to lock its y-position to it's main point y-position. This way your road won't go into the ground or up into the sky unwantenly when you move it with the free move control (little white box).
    - You can now hold down G while creating a prefab line/road point to create a straight segment.
    - Inproved insert point drastically, by using De Casteljau's_algorithm the curve will be nearly the same as before the insertion so in most cases you won't have to manually move the point.
    - Changed default turn marking to match the default road better (1 turn marking instead of 2 as its a 2-way road and not a 1-way road)
    - Increased default terrain y-offset for roads and intersections so you shouldn't have to change it as often (It's a hard balance because either the terrain sometimes goes over the road or the road floats quite a distance above the terrain, especially when the road is steep). It's near inpossible to make the terrain perfect under and around the road but a quick smooth brush always fixes it.
    - Fixed everything breaking when connecting a road the one of the center points of another road when that road already was connected to a end intersection. Thanks @florinel2102 for reporting this!
    - Fixed some cases where undo led to errors

Why did I choose the keybinds that I chose? I chose those who don't have any other functionality (CTRL-D duplicates so D can't be used for example).

Future inprovements:
    - Generate main roads for intersections automatically so you don't have to manually connect together sidewalks or shoulders.
    - Some way to decrease the time spent on configuring turn markings for intersections. This is a hard one as roads can be so different, and all "lanes" shouldn't have a turn marking as some or used for sidewalks etc.

Short clips:
    Bug fixed:

Better insertion:

(For some reason Unity forum decreases the resolution of the video)

30. florinel2102

florinel2102

Thanks for your professionalism , I will be back as soon as I test the update .
    EDIT : Asset works fine , I really like it ,the road system and the prefab line system work good for my project (car game) . Again , I like your professionalism . Good job @MCrafterzz !

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    MCrafterzz likes this.
  31. florinel2102

florinel2102

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  32. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

That's a really cool way to create a minimap! I would recommend reducing the detail level of the roads a bit though because otherwise there will be so many triangles which will lag your game, unless you plan to take a picture of it and use that.

EDIT: The reason why I don't have that option by default is that while it works fine for simple values such as a road's base y offset it causes problems in more advanced senarious such as adding another lane when the two selected roads have a different amount of lanes etc. So I won't enable it by default but I defiantly see the usuage of it so I'll add it into the tips section on itchio.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  33. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

This update further focuses on speeding up the workflow and fixing bugs.

V. 1.7.0:
    - Added automatically generate main roads option for intersections which connects the non-connected lanes of roads. For example if two roads have a sidewalk that consists of 3 lanes then those will connected to continue through the intersection. See the picture above for an example. This should be a huge time saver when it comes to creating intersections!
    - Added possibility to add a custom physics material to roads and intersections (defined per lane/intersection main road for more cusomization)
    - Added possibility to change y-offset for intersection main roads
    - Made road preset values more accurate, y offset 0.5 instead of 0.500768 for example, this was due to it being pratically inpossible to select exact values in the curve editor.
    - Fixed end index for intersection connections labled start index in the editor
    - Multiple bug fixes regarding intersection main roads

V. 1.7.1:
    - Fixed being able to remove generated main roads
    - Fixed not being able to add new intersection main roads when generate main roads automatically is enabled

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    florinel2102 likes this.
  34. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

This updates has a bunch of fixes and inprovements regarding lanes, please let me know if this causes any issues as there are quite big internal changes.

V. 1.8.0:
    - Spliting a segment now copies over the correct lanes and prefab lines
    - Fixed regenerating a road/prefab line/intersection not always triggering unsaved changes, this meant that in some cases Unity though it had save the latest changes when it had not and progress therefore was lost.
    - Made it possible to connect two lanes directly after each over, useful if you want a part of the road to have an older asphalt texture for example
    - Fixed short lane's lods not starting at the correct position
    - Fixed an error caused by short lanes
    - Fixed some cases of lane lods overlapping
    - Fixed not being able to edit material lists in older Unity versions
    - Internal code improvements

Improved lanes:

Previous versions:

This is one of the things now possible in the latest update

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  35. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Super small update today.

V. 1.8.1:
    - Fixed being able to convert road prefab lines to static mesh (this led to errors)

36. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

More bugs to squash!

V. 1.8.2
    - Fixed roads sometimes being a weird shape at the edge of two sections
    - Fixed being able to move road prefab lines

Neviah likes this.
  37. florinel2102

florinel2102

After 2 month using this asset I decided to switch with a package more pro , it's very useful for a small game or a game which is not focused on 'streets' , but I still use prefab line creator for make map perfect , but it's a terrible process because it's very slow , I test on a windows laptop and on a MacBook Air 2012 mid . Anyway , I probably would not buy it again despite developer helped me , but it's very slow (especially when you have over 15/20 prefab lines / roads ) and is not well organised .

38. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I only have a highly performant gaming computer so I haven't been able to test performance. People have different preferneces so I respect your choice of using another tool but what I do wonder is whay you mean with not being well organized? Good luck with your projects.

39. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Small quality of life update

V. 1.8.3:
    - You can now connect a road to itself to create an intersection with itself. This has it's limits thought, you can't connect another road to the middle of that road. Also you can only connect the start point with the end point, no other points.
    - Road and prefab line handles now shrink in size when zooming in, they are never bigger than before thought so you get more precise control without having them filling your screen when zooming out.
    - Fixed only every second guideline generating (it broke in the last update)
    - Disabled shadows on all road materials, so it's less visible that they float a bit above the terrain
    - Fixed intersection lines, road lines and turn markings having slightly different colours.
    - Updated to 2019.4.13f1

kns1966 likes this.
  40. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Something that has always been bothering me is the terrain modification which was decent but often required manual editing afterwards, so I decided to spend some time on it and can now present the hugely improved terrain deformation. It works better in all situations but terrain deformation for steep curved roads have be improved the most:

V. 1.8.4:
    - Drasticly improved the terrain deformation system

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  41. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

V. 1.8.5:
    - Fixed some terrain deformation artifacts
    - The max value for terrain deformation radius for roads and intersection has been increased to 30

42. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

How does Road Creator Pro handle terrain trees and details? Does it remove them from the road?

43. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I will add that to my todo list. Currently it only deforms the terrain but does not affect the trees.

Sorry for responding so late

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  44. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

Any plans for integration with the simple traffic system?

45. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I do not own that asset so I do not fully know how it works. I suspect that there is a lot of logic with creating paths for the ai so it would make more sense for him/her to implement it in their plugin. They could simply get the curve from the road object and then create a path. If it was implemented my side then I would have to add all that logic, also it would only work for that specific plugin.

46. Ryan-Hayle

Ryan-Hayle

Do you have a roadmap of what you plan to improve or what is coming in the next version? Do you have a discord?

47. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I created a discord so you can ask all your questions: https://discord.gg/WngtyaZn (The discord will be improved but I wanted you to have access to it as quick as possible)

48. Seb88250

Seb88250

Hi,
    I am currently developing a 3D city builder with Unity, and I made a custom road system and a custom terrain system.
    But I struggle to manage the terrain deformation when the player creates roads on a slope.
    Could your asset be used to create a road system similar to what we have in Cities Skylines ?
    Also, I would like to join your Discord but the link is invalid.

49. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Here is a permanent invite: https://discord.gg/47VxAPPRWJ

The editor tools and road creation internals are highly integrated together so it is really not created for runtime use. It's made for manually creating roads in the editor in an intuitive way to add roads, intersections etc to your scenery. It's usually used for various types of racing games but can definitely be used to create a city for any type of game, fps shooter for example as all modern cities require some sort of roads.

Unfortunely this tool probably isn't for you but there are many alternatives that focus more on runtime.

50. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

After a few smaller updates its time for a large one again, thanks everyone who suggested features!

V. 1.9.0:
    - Added Prohibited Area tool which lets you create a filled area of any shape, and fill it with any material. Two materials are included, one for stripes and one for double stripes.
    - Added Edit Point window to precisely edit road and prefab line points as they can't be viewed in the Inspector. Supports full undo
    - Added Flatten button to intersections, as many features such as intersection main roads work best when the intersection is flat
    - Added configurable LODs for intersections for increased performance
    - Added option for roads/intersections to remove terrain details as well as terrain trees. Be careful with removing trees it can freeze the editor if you have many trees so finish your road then enable it once and then disable it again for the best results.
    - Improved the terrain deformation once again as it sometimes generated spikes at the edges of the deformation
    - Added terrain angle so you can now control the steepness of the terrain deformation
    - Changed terrain deformation max radius from 30 to 100 as less steep angles require larger radius
    - Changed lock y-position keybind from L to P as L is now used in Unity
    - Fixed y-position locking not working correctly

1.9.1:

Fixed roads and intersections will terrain detail removal enabled without a terrain under them breaking the tool

1.9.2:
    Added option to set terrain deformation accuracy for roads and intersections to prevent holes generating in the terrain

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021