Search Unity

1.16.0 not building for iOS in Unity 5.6.5 using Mono2x scripting backend

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by andymads, Feb 26, 2018.

1. andymads

andymads

I've just updated to 1.16.0 and now get a build error when building in Unity 5.6.5 for iOS with the Mono2x scripting backend only - no errors with IL2CPP.

SystemException: Duplicate native method found : unityPurchasingInterceptPromotionalPurchases. Please check your source carefully.
    UnityEditor.MonoAOTRegistration.ExtractNativeMethodsFromTypes (ICollection`1 types, System.Collections.ArrayList res) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/MonoInternalCallGenerator.cs:29)

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@andymads Thank you for reporting this issue, I was able to quickly reproduce. I will let the IAP team know and hopefully get this addressed in a future release.

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

4. andymads

andymads

Yes, that's been the case for quite a while - however not every build I make is for the App Store. Mono2x builds are a lot quicker to build so are very useful for development purposes - and in fact they make up the majority of my builds. Unity IAP supports Unity 5.6 right? And 5.6 has the option to produce Mono2x builds, so this issue needs fixing.

And, I've seen nothing in your build notes to say that Unity IAP no longer supports Mono2x.

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I had only mentioned that the App Store does not support Mono2x. Understood on your concern, I will pass this along to the IAP team.

6. andymads

andymads

Sorry, I thought you were giving the reason for the issue.

7. kathode

kathode

Just hit this myself after upgrading Unity IAP. I'm currently trying to work on an issue that requires tweaking values and sending to the device over and over to get it right. This has just inserted a lot more time into my iteration loops and is a big irritation at the moment. It would be great to have a flag that still allows me to make Mono2x builds while acknowledging that the App Store, or even the IAP package in total, won't work.

VonStierlitzDeveloper likes this.
  8. andymads

andymads

I'm disappointed that you've now released 1.17 and 1.18 yet there's no mention of this issue being fixed. Is it fixed? Will it be fixed? When?

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This was originally closed as "Won't Fix", but I've asked the IAP team to revisit this issue.

10. wkluczniak

wkluczniak

please keep us posted about this, would love to have mono build working

andymads likes this.
  11. daviddickball

daviddickball

Hi, I've tried to export for iOS for the first time (I've published to Google Play plenty) and I've got this error message. Is the solution to wait for an update, or is there something I can do to get past it and publish my game?

12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@daviddickball You would not be able to publish to the App Store using Mono as Apple does not support it. Some developers prefer to use Mono during development (only) as the stated compile time is faster.

13. andymads

andymads

In Player Settings|Other Settings set the Scripting Backend to IL2CPP and Architecture to Universal

14. andymads

andymads

I see that 1.19 has been released. What's the status of using with Mono2x?

I can't stress enough how important this is to development. Does whoever has originally made the decision to stop supporting Mono2x fully understand the implications?

We're still on 1.15.

15. andymads

andymads

Can we have a definitive answer on this? Have you effectively killed off the Mono2x backend?

16. andymads

andymads

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I have checked with the IAP team, and so far, no change in the status. I will make your case again, I understand that building a large game just to do a quick test shouldn't take more time than necessary.

18. hexaust_

hexaust_

Having the same issues, would love to see this one solved.

19. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@andymads, @kathode, @wkluczniak, @daviddickball

We met with the team again and unfortunately, the final decision was that
    Unity IAP will no longer support the Mono scripting backend for iOS.

It was decided that the cost of maintaining this compatibility would outweigh the benefit of reduced build times of intermediate builds.

I hope this change does not interfere too much with your workflows. Sorry I couldn't deliver better news.