Search Unity

1.0.4 runs but most menus are disabled

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mindesign, Jul 29, 2005.

1. mindesign

mindesign

(after i click "Try" in the PACE dialog) all the items in the File menu are disabled, for instance. can't do anything with it! i tried to drop back to 1.0.3 but it won't allow to install an older version... my sys: 10.4.2 2x2 G5 ATI9800

2ndly: the Unity web player crashes Safari, and is broken in FireFox - says "Error starting Unity. Unable to decompress player data."

interestingly, Ambrosia's GooBall also freezes at launch here...

last ?: can i use the Pro "render to texture" feature in the editor, just not Build Game with it - or is it totally disabled until you pay up? because that feature is *very+very* important to what i hope to accomplish with Unity (art stuff, domes, non-commercial) but i can't afford $1K+ to prototype...

a lot of problems! but from this forum, it doesn't look like others are having them, so i reckon it's something with my system, or maybe just the brand new "let's release a build and then go on holiday" 1.0.4. let me know if i can give any diagnosic info thanks for any help!

2. freyr

freyr

As far as I know we haven't seen this problem before. Have you tried re-downloading the installer and installing 1.0.4 again, in case of a corrupted download? Does it also happen in 1.1b1?

If that doesn't help, you should report the bug using the Report Bug application that's installed alongside Unity. (You can paste the URL of this thread into the description field.) That way we can look at diagnostic output from Unity. Remember to run and exit Unity just before running Report Bug.

Btw... "Holidays" at OTEE consist of going home before 2 am and maybe taking the Sunday off. :wink:

3. socksy

socksy

For the web player bug, I know exactly what you are talking about. Delete all references to the webplayer plugin (not the actual games) and install it again - that fixed it for me.

For the unity bug, try deleting the preference file beginning with otee.someothercrap found in User->Library->System Preferences I believe.

Though, I doubt the second piece of advise is right, or even correct in where to find it... :)

4. freyr

freyr

Please take a backup copy of the preference file if you delete it and send it to us (you can attach it to the bug report sent with Report Bug.)

The preference file is in ~/Library/Preferences/dk.otee.UnityEditor.plist

5. mindesign

mindesign

i found that the problem was some interaction between Unity and the Application Enhancer (APE) ICeCoffEE (v1.4.2)
    http://web.sabi.net/nriley/software/

once i added Unity to its Exclude list, everything is golden. the web player works now as well. my apologies, should have thought to disable "extensions" first... never had a problem with any other app tho.

can you answer this part of the first message please:
    "last ?: can i use the Pro "render to texture" feature in the editor, just not Build Game with it - or is it totally disabled until you pay up? because that feature is *very+very* important to what i hope to accomplish with Unity (art stuff, domes, non-commercial) but i can't afford $1K+ to prototype... "

thanks for your help!

PS freyr i thought i read in another message about staff going on holiday, no offense intended - i know it's Vacation Season over there in Europe/Scandinavia. ;)

6. freyr

freyr

Ah... didn't see that one. The short answer is "no". The "render to texture" feature is a Pro-only feature -- also inside the Editor.