Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug 0 softzone bugs out follow cam ?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by _met44, Jul 10, 2020.

1. _met44

_met44

Hey there,

We're struggling with an issue after setting softzone to 0, the camera works the way desired by the team but once in a while as we move arround the follow target smoothly, very hard to reproduce on purpose, the camera teleports far away for a split second in a really cool but undesired warp effect and then back.

Our monitoring concluded that the camera follow target didn't do that move, only the camera did.

Is this a known issue with softzone? is 0 softzone a setting we're never supposed to do ?

Cheers

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Hello @_met44. Sorry for the long delay. Do you still have this issue? If so, can you post an image of your vcam inspector?

3. _met44

_met44

Hey np i know the season ;) thanks for the reply.

The work arround we found was to put 0.001 as softzone value, we didn't push tests further. Latest hypothesis is that a slight flickering on the target position due to network sync mecanism triggered something off in the vcam calculations.

upload_2020-7-20_23-40-20.png

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure I understand the issue. At first you said that there was no glitch in the target motion, but now are you saying that there is in fact a glitch due to network sync. Is that correct?

If that's the case, I don't see how adding a small soft zone will change anything for CM, since you have damping time set to 0, which makes the soft zone useless. In this setup, the vcam will follow the target as if attached by a rigid rod.

Can you describe the nature of the motion glitch, and the nature of the camera warp?

5. _met44

_met44

Sorry let my try to clarify. So the target didn't glitch far away, only the camera moved hundreds of units away from where it should have been, both mesured by logging frame by frame position of the target and the camera.

The target position however is synced over the network so its position can have a very slight flicker, near impossible to notice to human eye.

The warp effect was like what happen with motion blur when you move the camera hundreds of units away over a few frames.

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

This is very strange, and I really can't see how setting the softzone to nonzero can have any effect at all in this situation. Similarly, small flickering in the target position as you describe should not be a problem.

You say the glitch happened over several frames? Not just a single frame?

I notice that you're using the DOTS editor. Is this a DOTS project?

7. _met44

_met44

yes its a cutting edge dots project ^^ (will go on for several years so you guys have time to finish making it :p)

8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

FYI we are working in parallel on a pure-DOTS version of Cinemachine. Should be ready by the time you need it.

_met44 likes this.
  9. _met44

_met44

haha that's amazing news ! can't wait to see the full dots lineup will be awesome :cool: