Search Unity

[0.8.4] Can't use "#" on any part of project path while using Fast or Virtual mode at editor

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Guimaraes, May 12, 2019.

1. Guimaraes

Guimaraes

Hello,

as title suggests having "#" on your project path will result in entire AddressablesSystem being unable to initialize at the editor, while using Play Mode Script Fast Mode or Virtual Mode.

Calling
    Addressables.InitializeAsync();
    or any Load/Instantiate function will result in the following 2 messages being shown at the console and no asset being loaded successfully.

Code (csharp):
    1. Addressables - runtime data operation completed with status = Failed, result = .
    2. UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.Addressables:InitializeAsync()
    Code (csharp):
    1. Addressables - Unable to load runtime data at location
    2. UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations.AsyncOperationHandle`1[[UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.Initialization.ResourceManagerRuntimeData, Unity.Addressables, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]].
    3. UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.Addressables:InitializeAsync()

CanisLupus likes this.
  2. RecursiveFrog

RecursiveFrog

Something about using # in a file path or file name feels very wrong to me. It seems like begging for trouble.

Ideally Unity ought to support things like this, but it’s also probably not a good idea to do rely on them even if they did. For example, let’s say you want to move that codebase into Perforce. Now you have wildcard characters in your file paths. Unity handled it for you on their end, but now your VCS is in the way.

unity_bill likes this.
  3. Guimaraes

Guimaraes

I agree with you and promptly renamed the directories, but its possible the same thing could happen with regular characters in other languages so I posted here for reference.

4. ItsAnecdotal

ItsAnecdotal

Apparently this is still an issue! Unfortunately I just ran into it, and wasted an entire day before figuring this out.

While I agree avoiding # in the path is a smart idea, it *is* a valid character for windows directory names, and I feel like Unity should support this (or at least through a better error!).