Search Unity

1. Tune in to get all the latest Unity news live from Berlin on June 19, 6pm CEST. Set up a YouTube reminder!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

0.17 broke uninstalls

Discussion in 'Unity Hub Preview' started by sxa, May 24, 2018.

1. sxa

sxa

(Windows 7 x64)

Opened Unity Hub 0.16, jumped through usual machine identification hoops
    Prompted to upgrade to Unity Hub 0.17, did so
    Opened Unity Hub 0.17, jumped through usual machine identification hoops (so thats still not fixed)
    Saw two new Unity version updates (2017.4.4 and 2018.1.1), so set a custom path (yay!) and installed them both.
    All fine. Time to uninstall the versions theyve replaced.
    Tried to uninstall 2017.4.3. from the Hub
    Unity Hub tells me it cant be uninstalled.
    Look in both the paths the Hub lists; no sign of the folder.
    Unity Hub still lists it as being on my system.
    Sigh.
    Checked for the 2018.1.0 folder. Definitely there.
    Tried to uninstall 2018.1.0 from the Hub
    Unity Hub tells me it cant be uninstalled.
    Look in both the paths the Hub lists
    This time the folder -is- there.
    Manually run the uninstaller.
    Uninstall runs fine.
    Unity Hub still lists it as being on my system.
    Double Sigh.
    Restart Unity Hub.
    No change. Cant remove them from the list of versions the Hub considers installed.

Last-ditch attempt, looked for data the Unity Hub might be using. Nothing obvious in the registry. Then went through the .json files in the Unity Hub AppData folder looking to see i . All the other Unity Hub info seems to be there, like the list of available versions, which one is preferred etc. But not the list of installed version.

Upshot : Hub cant/wont uninstall versions any more, and doesnt seem to want to accept that a version is no longer present.

2. mathieub

mathieub

Unity Technologies

Hi @sxa

Sorry to hear that you encounter these issues.
    Could you please provide your log file to help us troubleshoot? You may find it under %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs

Thank you for your help.

3. sxa

sxa

From my emails with Mathieu, it seems like I might be a bit of an edge case with this one, but its still consistent, and 17.1 is doing it too.
    The main behaviour is that the Hub reports an error message saying that it cant do an uninstall, does it anyway(*), then fails to update the list of installed versions unless you forcibly restart UnityHub.exe by killing any leftover processes running when you close the Hub.
    Attached is a screenshot from Hub 17.1 showing the behaviour.

(*) One new minor variation occurred with uninstalling 2018.12f, though, the installer created a 2018.1.2fEditorData folder parallel to the 2018.1.2f folder in Unity/Hub/Editor, and that was left behind after the uninstall. There's also an EditorData folder for 2018.2.0b6, never seen them before.)

Attached Files:

mathieub likes this.