Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

0.13.0 Breaks preferred Unity version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Seneral, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Seneral

Seneral

After updating to preview 0.13.0, most of my unity versions are unusable from Unity Hub.
    To clarify, I can't set them as preferred versions, they are NOT opened when I click a project associated with that version (preferred opens instead), and I can't even open projects manually in these versions through the context click.
    I also can NOT remove these versions from the list, if I try to add them again it says "Unity *version* installation is in progress. You cannot locate the same version", although I did not start an installation (see screen).

This affects all versions but 2018.1.0b4 and 2017.1.0f3 (got a total of 12 unity versions installed, all major versions down to 5.1). 2018b is the only one installed through the hub, 2017.1 and all other versions are installed in individual folders in ProgramFiles (see screens).

I can only imagine that the alternative install folder thing messed this up, maybe it automatically decided the Hub location and the one of 2017.1 are the only valid locations...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi Seneral,

Sorry for your experience. We are trying to reproduce the error and find a fix/workaround for that.
    Meanwhile, it would be great if you can provide us your log file to give us some clue.

3. mathieub

mathieub

Unity Technologies

You may find the log file under:
    • Windows: %APPDATA%\UnityHub\logs
    • MacOS: ~/Library/Application\ Support/UnityHub/logs

4. Seneral

Seneral

Sure, I added .txt so I can upload here.
    Last line seems to show the error, frontent calls a wrong method signature setDefaultEditorVersion and removeEditor.
    In that session I attempted to open my project in its version 5.6.4 from the context (selecting 5.6.4, 2017.1, current preferred, opens), then trying to set 5.6.4 as the preferred version, then trying to remove the version from the list.
    Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

5. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

It looks like when we are trying to read the list of manually located editors, something is going wrong. We are investigating the issue and trying to reproduce it. Meanwhile to unblock you:

I am wondering if you try quitting and opening the hub. If not, please try that.
    If it didn't help, I suggest navigating to %APPDATA%\UnityHub\defaultEditor.json and remove it. And restart the hub again.

For restarting the hub in Windows, you need to quit it from the tray menu and open it again.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

6. Seneral

Seneral

Ya I did restart quite a few times (by killing the process).
    Deleting defaultEditor.json it didn't work, but what DID work was to remove the editor version from editors.json and adding it back manually in the interface. That version now works as expected, I can set it as preferred. Also, projects opened in that version automatically open with it again even if it is not set as preferred. All other versions besides the two that previously worked still don't work.
    So seems it has to refresh some internal infos only. Deleting the whole editors.json and manually adding the versions back should theoretically work for all.
    Thanks for your assistance!

7. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

I see.

If you did not remove the editors.json file already, would you please send it to me. You can send it as a direct message if you like.

Thanks,
    Afshin

8. Seneral

Seneral

Sure, although I don't think there's much new info, no difference in the entries.
    The entry of 5.6.4 has been re-created since, but it's exactly the same as before except that the initial identifier of the version is now the actual version number and not a internal number as in all other versions.

Attached Files:

9. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for sharing this file.
    It is definitely a backward compatibility issue. As you may notice, in 0.13.0 the located versions follow the standard naming (not the build number anymore)

However, I am wondering if you (1) manually edited the editors.json file in the previous version as a workaround to see correct editor version. (2) if you upgraded from 0.11.0 to 0.13.0 (i.e. have you upgraded two weeks ago?)

10. Seneral

Seneral

(1) Yes, I did change the names of the versions in that file some time ago.
    (2) I did use the hub before 0.13.0 came out, not sure but I think I did upgrade shortly before (so no, I probably upgraded to 0.12.0 in between).

11. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

The issue is related to the fact that the content of the editors.json file is changed.

I assume that you changed the contents to be able to have a proper version name for the located editor.
    The Good news is the issue is fixed, and with the new update, locating an editor in Windows shows the proper version.
    The bad news is your manual update of the file was not what we expected and supported. I suggest removing the file and adding the editors again.

Sorry again for the inconvenience

12. Seneral

Seneral

Ya no big deal, is to be expected in preview:)
    Good that it was an issue caused by manual intervention though - although I suppose quite a few people have applied the same 'fix' to show proper names.
    Thanks!