Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Terrain Tools 3.0.2-preview.3 release is now available!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by wyattt_, Nov 11, 2020.

1. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hello Everyone!

We have new releases of the Terrain Tools package for you. These are largely bug fix releases as we've been focused on stabilizing features and cleaning up workflows and are intended for versions of the Editor that are 2019.4 and above.

A reminder: the API is still in flux while the package is in preview, so things that are available currently may not be there in the future or may change. If you have written custom filters or inherited from any of the TerrainPaintTools that ship with the package, they may have broken with these releases.

One of the new things that was added in the 3.0.2-preview.2 release was Editor Analytics integration. We are using this to collect information about which brushes and filters are being used, and which defaults are getting modified so that we can focus future development. No personal information is being collected, and you can always opt out of Editor analytics through the preferences.

As always, we love your feedback so please continue to send that our way. Any bugs that you find, workflow improvement suggestions, and questions about features are most welcome!

Changelog

[3.0.2-preview.3] - 2020-11-04
    Fixed
    • Fixed regression with SetHeight Flatten Tile option
    • Fixed brush mask filters with SetHeight painting
    [3.0.2-preview.2] - 2020-11-02
    Added
    • Editor Analytics integration.
    • Fallback shader to the HDRP Visualization shader.
    • PNG/TGA heightmaps support level remapping and vertical flipping.
    • Create New Terrain supports heightmaps in Texture2D format.
    Changed
    • Changed the package name that's used to get core Universal Render Pipeline (URP) HLSL code from Lightweight to Universal.
    • Added missing Terrain visualization settings.
    • Removed Filter Stack Image assets.
    • Changed Base Map Maximum Distance to 20000 to match the range in the Terrain Inspector.
    • Terrain Toolbox splatmap modifications are now applied to Terrain only after you click Apply To Terrain in the Terrain Toolbox.
    Fixed
    Brushes
    • Brush sizes are clamped to a maximum based on texture size. (1276290)
    • Clone tool correctly blends heightmap.
    • Clone tool clones alphamaps as well as height.
    • Clone tool correctly maintains clone position when you rotate the Scene Camera or click on the UI.
    • Corrected Smooth tool behavior when you paint near the edges of Terrain tiles so that it produces less discontinuities. (1186005)
    • Removed artifacts that occurred when you used the Twist Brush. (1276448)
    • Added support for Brush Mask Filters to the Wind Erosion tool.
    Splatmaps
    • Corrected blending when you apply splatmaps from the Terrain Toolbox.
    • Fixed error thrown when you highlight a splatmap in the Terrain Toolbox.
    • Fixed Undo/Redo functions after you apply a splatmap to a Terrain from the Terrain Toolbox.
    • Fixed error thrown when you export a splatmap to a Terrain without selecting a Terrain. (1240314)
    • Fixed Flip Adjustment on splatmap. (1276204)
    Heightmaps
    • Corrected heightmap when you create Terrain using a RAW file type in the Terrain Toolbox.
    • Fixed Flip Axis when you use Import Heightmap to create Terrain.
    • Heightmaps can be exported in 8-bit mode from the Terrain Toolbox. (1276244)
    • Terrain Toolbox heightmap export properly remaps levels.
    Noise Editor
    • Noise Editor displays correctly when you use the Personal (light) theme.
    • Noise shader import works correctly on Linux. (1188556)
    • You can now open only one Export Noise window at a time. (1269540)
    • Removed non-functional normalize option from the Export Noise UI.
    • Unique asset path is generated when you export noise.
    • Removed shader warnings from noise shaders.
    Terrain Splitting
    • Details and Trees are preserved when you split Terrain in the Terrain Toolbox. (1248489)
    • Splitting Terrain with resolution of 33x33 warns the user and allows for an alternate split mode. (1276273)
    • Scenes now don't automatically save when you split Terrain in the Terrain Toolbox.
    Additional Fixes
    • Editing the Remap Curve in the Image Filter Stack no longer throws error. (1254251)
    • Reverting to values in a Terrain preset now correctly reverts to saved values.
    • Base texture size now appears correctly in the Terrain Inspector drop-down menu for Terrains you create with the Terrain Toolbox.
    • Fixed toggle button behavior in the Terrain Toolbox, Brushes, and Brush Mask Filters.

NotaNaN, saskenergy, Rowlan and 5 others like this.
  2. jjejj87

jjejj87

Add HDRP grass. Please.

3. B_Campbell

B_Campbell

Unity Technologies

Hi jjejj67,

Thank you for the feedback and we hear you. Currently the team is working on integrating shadergraph support specifically for painting details. This change will not only allow users to paint details in HDRP, but also author control over the materials used on painted details. We don't have an eta for when that'll land but we're hard at work developing it.

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

Thank you for the reply. You are first person from Unity to even try to say something so I really appreciate it.

5. B_Campbell

B_Campbell

Unity Technologies

No problem at all and really thank you for sharing.

If I could ask for something from you it would be to continue giving feedback and seeking more even when there's silence from our end. We're still listening, but we may not always be able to respond right away. The work we accomplish is for creators like yourself and we do our best to take your thoughts into consideration.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    majorgrubert and mariandev like this.
  6. Rowlan

Rowlan

A few questions in that regard:

* what exactly do you mean by that?

* will it involve billboard grass in HDRP?

* will it involve SpeedTree 8 in HDRP?

Thank you!

7. jjejj87

jjejj87

No problem mate, as long as the process is kept transparent, I cannot see why we can't wait.

As for grass, here is my suggestion.

1) Rewire your team's idea of "we are making terrain details and etc...which will eventually be used for grass."
    2) Into "we need to provide industry standard grass to unity users - minimum"

The two may sound like a play of words, but in my past experience, the two yields very different results.

3) And lastly stop omitting features thinking it is for the Asset Store.

Tesrym likes this.
  8. N1warhead

N1warhead

I've been wondering why it's simply been disabled for the longest. It's pretty stressful to have to use speedtree grass (I mean it works and looks lovely), but it can certainly bog a scene down faster than bad GC. I remember awhile back there was some replacement shaders on GitHub people made, but they seemingly appeared to have just quit working, so it makes me assume y'all removed the entire ability in general. So may I (if you can at least), please get a brief understanding as to why it was simply removed and as to why it couldn't just be enabled?

(another question, for anyone whom can answer)
    Is there still supposed to be an entirely new terrain system? Or is the Terrain tools just simply re-doing the terrain one step at a time? I heard about this new terrain system in development quite some time ago and that there was a dedicated team for it and didn't hear nothing else again about it.

9. useraccount1

useraccount1

It is cancelled. The team was moved to polish, finish and optimize the current toolkit (both this package and stuff that exist in the core).
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/the-road-to-2021-q-a.950158/#post-6200375

I hope that the team will have enough time to adapt to the new features 2021.1 offers. Stuff like new scene tooling and some custom nodes for visual scripting. I'm making a custom terrain system and I also have to implement a basic procedural generator. At the first glance, this package looked relatively easy to maintain with a lot of features.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I request unity to add roads tool like easy roads 3 and river spline system like R.A.M on asset store and integrate in terrain tools!! And also can we have tesselation, parallax mapping features for terrain and material support more than four?!

11. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Heya. Just to be clear, while we have been putting a lot of effort into Terrain and Terrain Tools recently, this does not mean that Environment has been cancelled.

12. CGBull

CGBull

Any plane for LayerEdit System for Height/Texture paint?

13. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

How do I get a splatmap texture into Unity without the texture importer premultiplying the alpha channel? I can only make it work with a fully opaque alpha, which obviously cocks up the total splat weight.
    [EDIT: My bad...it's not Unity, it's Paint.NET which premultiplies the alpha with the RGB on saving the TGA. Grrr.]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    wyattt_ likes this.
  14. XRA

XRA

there are some errors in the new package, I'm not sure if the TypeVersion() one will prevent builds.

**EDIT** actually it looks like its not from the latest version, just a general issue

when compiling any shader (URP is not installed in project):

Shader error in 'Hidden/LWRP_TerrainVisualization': failed to open source file: 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/ShaderLibrary/Core.hlsl' at /XXXX/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.2-preview.3/Shaders/Visualization/LWRP/LWRP_TerrainVisualizationInput.hlsl(4) (on d3d11)

when compiling any C# code (with Entities 0.16.0-preview.21 installed):

ArgumentException: UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintHeightTool and UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintHeightTool have a conflict in the stable type hash. Use the [TypeVersion(...)] attribute to force a different stable type hash for one of them.
    Unity.Entities.TypeManager.AddTypeInfoToTables (System.Type type, Unity.Entities.TypeManager+TypeInfo typeInfo, System.String typeName) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Entities/Types/TypeManager.cs:408)
    Unity.Entities.TypeManager.AddAllComponentTypes (System.Type[] componentTypes, System.Int32 startTypeIndex, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] writeGroupByType) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Entities/Types/TypeManager.cs:1058)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    Unity.Debug:LogException(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Entities/Stubs/Unity/Debug.cs:19)
    Unity.Entities.TypeManager:AddAllComponentTypes(Type[], Int32, Dictionary`2) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Entities/Types/TypeManager.cs:1072)
    Unity.Entities.TypeManager:InitializeAllComponentTypes() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Entities/Types/TypeManager.cs:1012)
    Unity.Entities.TypeManager:Initialize() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Entities/Types/TypeManager.cs:461)
    Unity.Scenes.Editor.TypeDependencyCache:RegisterComponentTypes() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Scenes.Editor/TypeDependencyCache.cs:77)
    Unity.Scenes.Editor.TypeDependencyCache:.cctor() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.16.0-preview.21/Unity.Scenes.Editor/TypeDependencyCache.cs:59)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes(Type[])

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    wyattt_ likes this.
  15. Zimnel

Zimnel

I've installed the terrain tools recently and I realized that the brush size is frozen. A user told me undocking that editor part kind of solved it, but I couldn't get that to work. Is this something that could be addressed in the next version of the tools?

16. snacktime

snacktime

That might be related to a bug I noticed where the Y position isn't being translated correctly somewhere. The mouse cursor shows below where the UI thinks it is. So you have to click like an input's height length under what you actually want to click on.

17. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Heya! We are aware of the URP/HDRP shader errors and are working on those. We are also aware of the type hash conflict and worked with the DOTS team to resolve those issues. Previously, full assembly name was not included in the type hash but now it will be for special cases, iirc.

18. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

There is for the Environment package but not for Terrain currently

19. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Would it be possible to share a video or gif of the behavior the two of you are experiencing?

20. Zimnel

Zimnel

Hi Wyatt, and thanks for your fast response. I recorded this, the first part shows how it should behave (Hydraulic erosion size brush working correctly). After that I show how the Raise of Lower Terrain Brush works. There's no way to change the size as we do in the Hydraulic Erosion option. I have to type manually the range every time I want to change the size, and that slows the workflow significantly:

wyattt_ likes this.
  21. jonathanbrodsky

jonathanbrodsky

Unity Technologies

thank you for the detailed video!

out of curiosity, does the Raise or Lower terrain brush work as expected if you set the range to 0 on the left field and 500 on the right?

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

Looks like the Brush Strength range was also set to Min 1 and Max 1 in that video. Question is: Why?

23. Zimnel

Zimnel

I tried different size ranges before, but in former versions of the Tools I didn't even need a range, just lowering and raising, and that was a fast workflow. If the range is something dependant on the work of the brush (on the fact of it working or not because of that), I would say that the default values (if those are 0 and 500) should be the ones that we should have when we install the Tools. The Strenght range I tried different values but that seems not to be affecting the Size brush behavior.

Edito: It seems that yes, setting the minimum to 0.97 (defacto the Tool is not allowing total 0, it gives you 0.97 as acceptable minimum) and 500 maximum, recovers the good behavior on the Size Brush.

Thanks, Jonathan : )

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  24. jonathanbrodsky

jonathanbrodsky

Unity Technologies

Excellent! Glad to hear it is working for you now - It stores those range settings in EditorPrefs, so they should be retained across projects.

Zimnel likes this.
  25. elronaldpetit

elronaldpetit

Do you have a roadmap to get this package out of preview?, I think it is pretty great, but the preview status make me feel really uncomfortable

26. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hello! It's on our immediate near-term roadmap, but we're not yet ready to commit to a release date or share that roadmap publicly. We will announce the exact version as soon as we have have more information. Thank you for asking and thank you for your interest in the package!

Rowlan likes this.
  27. elronaldpetit

elronaldpetit

Thanks for you answer, glad to read that, I will be looking forward for that

wyattt_ likes this.
  28. bfoddy

bfoddy

Hello! I know pressing shift while sculpting terrain smooths the height, but it doesn't do anything in paint mode. It would be an enormous, enormous help if you could smooth splats that way.

wyattt_ likes this.
  29. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Nice one. I've added a backlog item

30. Waterlane

Waterlane

ok... I so want to use more than the 8 materials which HDRP Terrain allows (and have wanted this above all things in Unity, for some time).
    Please feel free to suggest a workaround... Or does anyone have any ideas about 'layering terrains' (yes I realise that will slow things down).
    Can anyone suggest how a terrain could be duplicated and given a separate terrain material?
    and is it possible to paint transparency to a terrain (not paint holes)?
    Thoughts welcome. :)
    Cheers.

31. TipTop3D

TipTop3D

Hello,
    is it possible to raise or lower terrain only fixed amount?
    Example. Left click with brush and terrain is moving down max 10cm. Release and click again will move another 10cm
    Thank you

Querke and Ruchir like this.
  32. Querke

Querke

This wouød be so handy!

Ruchir and Waterlane like this.
  33. Dragonname

Dragonname

Hello
    I found out that when reloading a scene there is a package called NoiseLib which takes a huge performance cost (700ms). I searched for it and found that it is used in terrain tools. Is there the possibility to fix this, terrain tools should not really update things every reload. Maybe the use of asmdef's could help
    Thank you

upload_2021-3-7_1-12-9.png

Xander-Davis and Deleted User like this.
  34. sacb0y

sacb0y

35. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

Would be nice if the Unity devs responded to this forum more.

Deleted User likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Where can I find Unity's world building productboard??! I just cannot find it when searching directly on google.... All I get is the graphics productboard

37. Rowlan

Rowlan

Waterlane and Deleted User like this.
  38. kenncann

kenncann

is there a size limit on imported heightmaps? I can't find it in the documentation and all I've come across was a person guess it is 4096x4096 in another forum. I'm trying to import a raw file bigger than that and it keeps coming up as "Resolution: 0 x 0"

39. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  40. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

41. Thunderik

Thunderik

Hi, when might this come out of preview?

42. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

Is there a specific file naming fomat for batch processing? I've rewritten a set of 256 multiple times trying to get it to import properly and it wont. It sorts them for me as X1_Y1, X1,Y2 etc etc then instead of X2, Y0 it goes to X10_Y1 etc etc;

image link - https://imgur.com/EbnKT7M

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  43. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

x000_y000
    x000_y001
    x001_y000
    x001_y001

just an example 4 chunk square here, but this convention works for us :)

Rickmc3280 likes this.
  44. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

Finally! Thank you for the advice.

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  45. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Most welcome!
    I'm glad it's working for you

46. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

Would you guys be so kind as to explain what "batch processing" is when it comes to terrain?

Very much appreciate it

47. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

If you have a folder full or organized raw files, batch processing will create a terrain for each raw file in an organized form.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

49. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Rowlan likes this.
  50. PutridEx

PutridEx

Yup, good and interesting features stay out of the engine. That is the unity way.

Deleted User likes this.