Search Unity

Sunfall Supersampling - Official Asset Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SunfallGames, May 18, 2021.

1. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Sunfall Supersampling 2021.1 is now on Asset Store!

Asset Store Link - Base Asset:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/195736

Asset Store Link - HDRP Addon Asset:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/196012

Asset Store Link - URP Addon Asset:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/196013

Documentation:
    https://github.com/SunfallGames/Sunfall-Supersampling/wiki

What is Sunfall Supersampling?
    We have teamed up with MadGoat Studio and took over development and support for MadGoat SSAA!
    Sunfall Supersampling brings back one of the best anti-aliasing techniques to your Unity3D project: be it a game, a VR application or an archviz presentation, now you can achieve stunning image quality with just one click!

Features
    • Supports HDRP & URP: Version 2021 introduced full support for Scriptable Render Pipelines on Unity 2019.4 and newer! In order to get support for the render pipeline, their respective are required. Check the note above for more info!
    • FSSAA and TSSAA techniques: Super Sampling as used by AAA studios - combines the power of SSAA with the versatility of FXAA or temporal reprojection. (TSSAA is only available for HDRP)
    • The best AA solution for VR: Supports all the popular desktop VR devices in both single and multi pass rendering.
    • High Compatibility: Supports all Unity3D versions starting from 2017 up to current (also compatible with older versions but not officially tested)
    • Multiple uses: Our SuperSampling system also works perfectly in cinematics, off-screen rendering and arch-viz applications.
    • Resolution Scaling: Ability to scale the resolution by percent, such as seen in the settings menus of many AAA titles. This allows the users to change the render resolution without affecting the UI/HUD.
    • Adaptive Scaling: Ability to automatically adjust the render resolution, based on a target frame rate.
    • Per Axis Scaling: Ability to scale the resolution on each axis independently.

Compatibility
    The Sunfall Supersampling Base asset is compatible with Built in Render Pipeline and tested in 2019.4 LTS and 2020.3 LTS.

The HDRP and URP Addons are also compatible and tested with 2019.4 LTS and 2020.3 LTS

For complete compatibility chart Consult the Compatibility Wiki page.

Screenshots

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    newguy123, RogDolos and GeniusKoala like this.
  2. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Hello everyone!

We are happy to announce that Sunfall Supersampling (along with the new HDRP and URP Support Addons) is now RELEASED on Asset Store!

Base Asset: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/195736
    HDRP Support Addon: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/196012
    URP Support Addon: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/196013

Changelog since MadGoat Deprecation: https://github.com/SunfallGames/Sunfall-Supersampling/wiki/2.-Changelog

We are also running a release discount with 30% OFF for a limited time so grab it while its hot!

And don't hesitate to come with feedback, ideas and bug reports here on the forum or over discord!

Discord: https://discord.gg/HVntBs4ghW

Thanks,
    Andrew

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. bvonline

bvonline

I would like to know if the URP versions would work with Intel UHD 620 (internal CPU Chip graphics card), and how much frame drops compared to FXAA I should expect (in percentage). It is an Intel i5 processor, and I should decide well if I buy it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  4. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Hello

Realistically speaking, supersampling is a rather performance heavy anti-aliasing method since it basically render whole image at higher resolution than screen. It really is meant to be used with dedicated GPUs, but depending on your project's complexity and what you render on screen it might work with the UHD 620. In the end supersampling performance is directly proportional with your game's graphics complexity.

Regards

5. newguy123

newguy123

Is there a DEMO available that I could try please?

I tried a simple scene (architectural) with the latest alpha Unity 2021.2.0a20 and HDRP 12 with Raytracing and DLSS, however I'm not satisfied with the results. I've been trying to find a solution for 6 months now and was about to try Madgoat SSAA when it got discontinued, so hoping I could try out the new Sunfall version and that could finally give me the results I expect.

upload_2021-6-14_17-42-43.png

This is a simple scene and something typical. Everything is geometry. The issue is with the thin vertical lines on the walls as well as ridges on the overhanging roofs. Before somebody suggests that it should be done with textures, let me stop you right there. This is NOT FOR GAMES, this is for high quality production offline rendering and needs to be very detailed at far distances as well as up close. Also, timeframes are very short so it is quicker to model these details than having to deal with UV and texturing such details.

We are trying to switch from traditional rendering pipeline to realtime Unity pipeline, but so far have been unsuccessful in finding acceptable quality results.

6. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Hi

We have a build with the demo scene included in supersampling package. We plan on making a live/online demo in the future as well

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_fROVplIzprjf-ygZUjvYbskMyK_xx2b/view?usp=sharing

7. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Hi, is this technique compatible with Windows Mixed Reality? I use an HP Reverb G2 headset. Thanks!

8. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

New update for Sunfall Supersampling is now live on asset store!

Whats new in 2021.1.1:

- Fixed minor editor related issues in Core Asset
    - Improved compatibility with URP and SRP
    - Temporary disabled broken FSSAA in VR until a proper fix is in place

P.S. for people who own both core asset and the srp modules, all the packages have to be updated at once!

9. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Hello!

Sorry for late reply. We haven't test for Windows Mix Reality as we dont own required hardware to test VR in the wild yet.

However, on VR, the supersampling is built around existing Unity API for stereo eye scaling, so in theory our supersampling asset should work on any VR framework that Unity has full feature support for.

10. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hi,

On the Asset Store, it is written "Latest version 2021.1.1" for both the base asset and the SRP one. But in the documentation the latest Unity version is "2020.3" (which is the latest LTS version). What's the latest version of Unity on which the HDRP AA is working? Can we use 2021.1 with HDRP?

Thank you!

11. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hi,

Does this asset support camera stacking in HDRP ? I need to have my 3D characters on one camera and a video behind them rendered on another camera. It was working until I added the SunfallGames component on my CharacterCamera. Now my VideoCamera alway renders on top of the SSAA camera. Changing depth does not work. Have you any hint on how to do camera stacking in HDRP with your asset please?

I can't use it with Cinemachine. When I enable the Cinemachine Integration, the render goes darker... if I don't enable it it's correct but the cut between Cinemachine cameras does not work in the timeline...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  12. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Does it support HDRP Compositor ? I can't make it work with it since it seems the SSAA Camera renders in a RenderTexture.

I can't make your asset work with Cinemachine. If I don't enable the Cinemachine integration, the cut between VirtualCamera is too late for 1 frame and if I enable it it's 1 frame too late + the rendering is complety dark when it changes to the next VirtualCamera... I've already disable RTX to use SSAA and now this... :(

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  13. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Hello. The version you are looking at is the asset version (Supersampling 2021.1.1). The asset indeed officially supports only LTS releases (2019.4 and 2020.3).

HDRP Camera stacking is not supported (design limitation) but planned/in research - https://github.com/SunfallGames/Sunfall-Supersampling/wiki/3.-Roadmap-&-Known-Issues

This sounds like a bug or regression. If you can send a sample project where we can reproduce the issue over email we can look into it.

GeniusKoala likes this.
  14. Barritico

Barritico

Hello.

I have your old product (madgoat ssaa) and, although it works well in terms of antialiasing, I do not use it because it reduces the FPS a lot.

Does this new product perform better, or is evolution focused on other aspects?

Thanks.

15. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

I saw in your roadmap in short term you added "Support for HDRP camera compositor feature". Do you have a release date ?

We need your SSAA to be compatible with Compositor by the beginning of september so I may modify your package to make it work with it. I thought I may write your SSSA_camera into an external RenderTexture and display it in the Compositor.

16. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

I enabled your SSAA with x4 FSSAA + Cinemachine. When the camera is near my characters they are rendered very dark and blurred. When the camera is far it looks ok. I enabled the Cinemachine integration. Without it I had blurred camera cut (my characters were very blurred on each camera cut). It's Unity 2021.1.16f1 HDRP11. I remember we've already had this issue with Madgoat in Unity 2019.4.3 back in the time. Please I need help with this. We can't render our frames like that...

17. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Hello sorry for the late reply! For some reason, sometimes we don't get forum watch notification from unity forum threads... (this is why we always suggest our users to reach out via email or discord for important matters)

Sunfall SuperSampling is indeed MadGoat SSAA with some refactoring. For the initial release we focused on fixing the asset and making it compatible again with latest versions of unity 2019.4 and 2020.3 LTS on all pipelines. And now our plan is to bring new features to the table!

Compositor support is planned and we are currently researching what needs to be done to make it work without breaking code or performance for non-composite cameras (we want to keep code as clean as possible and not rely on hacky ways to add support). However no promises on when that feature will land as it's a bit tricky at the moment.

As for cinemachine, please check my latest reply on discord - I uploaded a patch file for you to try, hopefully all should be solved! The fix will make its way to a future asset update soon too!

Barritico and GeniusKoala like this.
  18. Barritico

Barritico

Thanks!!

19. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

New update for Sunfall Supersampling is now live on asset store!

Whats new in 2021.1.2:

- Fixed issue causing compilation error under some HDRP setups
    - Fixed issue causing cinemachine to not clear frame accumulation history when switching cameras

P.S. for people who own both core asset and the srp modules, all the packages have to be updated at once!

20. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

21. mishanany

mishanany

Hi,

Just purchased this asset but It doesn't work in Unity 2019.4.9f1 with SteamVR.

I added the SunfallSupersamplingVR component to the SteamVR camera but I am not seeing any changes whatsoever. I tried different SunfallSupersamplingVR settings but still no change. I'm on HTC Vive Pro.

What could be the problem ?

22. look001

look001

Do you plan to add support for android and ios?

23. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Hello,

Sorry for the late response, we are a bit behind with support due to black friday chaos.

Sounds like an issue or edge case we didn't account for with VR setup (Unity is bit of a mess on VR 2019.4 with all the various VR/XR packages.)

Is it possible to send a barebones reproduction project over email where we can take a better look at it?
    Thanks

Unfortunately not at the moment but its something we are thinking about.

The problem is not necessarily that SSAA won't work on mobile as it is, but the fact that all the framebuffer copy-ing that we do is killing performance on mobile GPUs so the whole product would need to be rewritten from ground up to make it work at acceptable performance.

If we will consider on taking this path for mobile, I think it will be in the form of a standalone asset rather than added support for this one.

24. SunfallGames

SunfallGames

Major update for Sunfall Supersampling is now live on asset store!

Whats new in 2022.1:
    - Major improvements in image upsampling quality from low resolutions
    - Major improvements to image filtering quality
    - Major better sharpening algorithm to up/down sampling
    - Added support for camera stacking on URP
    - Post AA can now run at 100% and lower scale
    - Image sharpening and filtering can now run at 100% and scale
    - Minor performance improvements on HDRP and URP
    - Minor improvements to API (Might require some code changes on user end)

Known Issues/Under Investigation:
    - FSSAA is not available under VR at the moment
    - Supersampling breaks OnClick() events support

NOTE 1: Clean install is recommended for this major update
    NOTE 2: Some API methods were simplified and may require small modifications in user code

Roadmap and Wiki has also been updated accordingly!
    Thanks everyone for the support!

NathanielAH and look001 like this.
  25. macube

macube

Is there a way how can i combine this with the latest nature renderer version (unity 2021 hdrp)? the gras don't render when i add the sunfall supersampling component..

26. Mars91

Mars91

I'm unable to use the asset with cinemachine too.

Already emailed but with no luck

27. pwka

pwka

Hi, I get this info at asset store.
    Unfortunately, Sunfall Supersampling (SSAA & Resolution Scaling) is no longer available.

Are there any plans for a comeback in the future?
    Cheers!

28. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

Mysteriously deprecated in the Asset Store...

makaolachsiungca and hopeful like this.
  29. FlowFollower

FlowFollower

Does anyone have an idea about what might be the reason for being deprecated?

I know the reason generally is because the asset becomes outdated, not supported anymore or compatible with the recent versions fo Unity and the developer publishes a brand new version from scratch, etc...

Yet in this case, there is nothing from the developers on the Asset Store. SunFall Games, publisher id with 53387, gives Error 404 on the asset store page.

So, what does that mean for the buyers of the asset? Is it still legal to use it in projects?

30. DeepWorks_Studios

DeepWorks_Studios

it's really unfortunate that the asset disappeared again without any hint why

31. Freznosis

Freznosis

What a surprise :eek::rolleyes: