Search Unity

[RELEASED] Pro Camera 2D - The definitive 2D & 2.5D Unity camera plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by luispedrofonseca, Jul 29, 2015.

1. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

ProCamera2D is a tool for Unity that allows you to quickly set-up a camera for any kind of 2D game. It supports all 3 axis (XY, XZ and YZ) and also orthographic or perspective cameras so it works great for all types of 2D & 2.5D games. It’s been built from the ground-up with a strong focus on performance and extensibility, meaning you can use it on all platforms (including older mobile phones) and if for some reason the included behaviours don’t entirely fit your game you can easily extend it to fit your needs.

CORE:
    - Perspective and orthographic modes
    - All axes support (XY, XZ, YZ)
    - Follow smoothness - DEMO
    - Multiple targets follow with influence weight - DEMO
    - Limit camera distance - DEMO
    - Limit camera speed

EXTENSIONS:
    - Camera Window - DEMO
    - Cinematics - DEMO
    - Content Fitter - DEMO
    - Forward Focus - DEMO
    - Geometry Boundaries
    - Numeric Boundaries - DEMO
    - Pan And Zoom - DEMO
    - Parallax - DEMO
    - Pixel Perfect - DEMO
    - Pointer Influence - DEMO
    - Rails - DEMO
    - Repeater - DEMO
    - Rooms - DEMO
    - Shake - DEMO
    - Speed Based Zoom - DEMO
    - Zoom-To-Fit - DEMO

TRIGGERS:
    - Boundaries Trigger - DEMO
    - Influence Trigger - DEMO
    - Rails Trigger - DEMO
    - Zoom Trigger - DEMO

And also:
    - Unity 4.6.2+ and Unity 5.x support!
    - Mobile optimized
    - No coding required
    - Extensible
    - Free updates
    - PlayMaker Custom Actions
    - 2D Toolkit full compatibility

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    PolyCrusher, tequyla, cparki3 and 4 others like this.
  2. Async0x42

Async0x42

Looks really awesome, I checked out your site via your Reddit post a couple days ago and it seems really well written! I just do this as a hobby so it's a bit pricey for a camera for me, but it definitely looks worth the price for any serious game developer! I'll wait for a sale to snag it and play with it, great work on the asset and website material though!

luispedrofonseca likes this.
  3. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Thanks mate! Really appreciate your feedback.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Very nice! This is non-coder dummy artist (me) friendly?
    Gonna have to budget for this, because it's looks like a very well put together package.

5. Async0x42

Async0x42

One feature I didn't see on your website, would be an option to lock the camera position to full pixel units, so that you can avoid the sprite tearing/flickering people have a huge issue with when doing 2D tilemaps. Here is a script I found on github that I used to use: https://gist.github.com/pixelrevision/2981863 . Though it requires the developer to input how many PPU they're using as the project standard.

Another thing would be for setting the desired viewport size and auto-scaling it depending on whatever resolution the user is running. 2D Toolkit has a feature kind of like this on their camera which I used before.

6. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

It works with perspective camera?

Gus3D likes this.
  7. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

For a project I needed to implement a similar solution, but my client never became truly happy with my solutions. I guess I didn't put enough effort into it was the first thing I thought when I saw this.

It truly looks great, and I'm considering to buy it, but price is a bit too much :D US Dollar in my country is skyrocketted :p

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  8. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

congratulations @luispedrofonseca! look very good but the price is so expensive :( I think buying it but not in the near future yet.

9. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@theANMATOR2b It is very non-coder friendly! 99.9% of the features you can use without writing a single line of code. The only two things that require an one-line call are the shake and the cinematic focus.
    Both are explained on the user guide but if you have some doubt don't hesitate to contact me.

@Async0x42 Pixel-perfect is something I'm currently investigating and I'll try to put it in for version 1.2. Thanks for the reference script.
    As for the viewport size and auto-scaling, not sure I understood. However, ProCamera2D works perfectly with 2DToolkit's camera and you should be able to use all its features without any interference.

@Too Nerd To Die While most of its features work with a perspective camera, several don't. Therefore, I can't officially say it does. Sorry!

@TanselAltinel @Mr.Stein I understand that the price might seem a little steep, but with the amount of time and effort I've put into it and that I plan to in the foreseeable future, I wouldn't feel comfortable with something much lower than that. Anyhow, thank you for your input!
    P.S.: I'm sure down the line there will be some sales! ;)

plotlessplot and theANMATOR2b like this.
  10. superwendel

superwendel

Just a heads up, I noticed this coming back here from your asset store listing, the unity forum link just returns you back to http://forum.unity3d.com/ at the moment.

11. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@StevenWendel Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I submitted that before creating this thread... I've updated it already but now it needs to be approved. The whole Asset Store approval process is a pain.

12. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

It's perfectly understandable, and if I were living in a better country, it'd be an instant buy for me. It's just that US Dollar conversion for me gets three times. For me, it's like paying 120 bucks (not that this asset doesn't deserve it :) ). I'll probably won't wait for a discount though, just cut on candy a little :p

13. Toad

Toad

14. Gus3D

Gus3D

Awesome stuff. Which of the advertised features don't work with perspective cameras? Would help with my purchase decision. Thanks and good luck in the store!

15. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

To be honest I don't have a thorough list of what works and what not. Everything that's related to the camera size won't probably work. It simply wasn't made with perspective cameras in mind so I don't feel comfortable recommending it for games that need it.
    It seems to be a recurrent question so it seems I need to update the description to make it clear.
    However, I'll see what I can do for bringing support for it in future updates.
    Thanks for your interest in this asset!

16. Gus3D

Gus3D

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I have a clearer idea of what'll work and what wont. Unfortunately, that means that some of the features I find most compelling will most definitely not work with a perspective setup. I'm sure a fair bit of developers use perspective cameras, so it might be worth your time adding support. Good luck again in the store!

17. jeffweber

jeffweber

+1 for Perspective camera support.

Gus3D and luispedrofonseca like this.
  18. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

I'll see what I can do about adding support for perspective cameras. But I don't want to over-promise since it will be quite a large endeavour to make sure everything works nicely. Especially the zoom and boundaries related features are going to be especially tricky.

Anyhow, thank you so much for your interest and support! ;)

Too-Nerd-To-Die and Gus3D like this.
  19. Gus3D

Gus3D

Thank you so much for considering our request! I know you didn't promise anything but I'm going to go ahead and make a purchase anyway to support your endeavours. Cheers!

20. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@Gus3D Thank you so much! :) I'll keep you posted on the perspective camera support.

Gus3D likes this.
  21. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Gus3D and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  22. Gus3D

Gus3D

Looks good! Played around with it a bit. I love how streamlined everything is. Seriously, if anyone is reading this and still on the fence. Go get it!

Might need to set transparencySortMode to orthographic for those mountains.

23. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Great Job ! I agree with the other comments; price is a little too high (at least for launch) and missing the 'pixel perfect' mode ... If you build that; i'm definitely buying it :)

24. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Perspective cameras support is really coming along. Should be able to submit early next week! ;)

25. Gus3D

Gus3D

Looking good!

Congrats on the front page feature on the Asset Store! Hope that drives up sales. :D

26. Marduken83

Marduken83

Wow congrats on being featured! I know it is well deserved!

27. vamky

vamky

Hi! This is the 2d camera solution I have been waiting for! However I am not able to use it because somehow the plugin is causing conflict with dotween playmaker actions.

You can find dotween and playmaker action here:
    http://dotween.demigiant.com/download.php

I hope this could be solved soon so I can use both excellent plugins together!

28. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@vamky I downloaded DoTween and the linked custom PlayMaker actions and I am indeed getting a bunch of errors. However, they are not related to ProCamera2D. To confirm that you can delete the "PlayMakerActions" folder from the ProCamera2D package and you'll see the errors still occur.

Let me know if this is the case for you or if I'm missing something.

29. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Too-Nerd-To-Die and theANMATOR2b like this.
  30. Async0x42

Async0x42

One thing I noticed in the demos, is for the Multiple Targets example, if the other target is off-screen and jumping, the players screen still bounces, which to me feels a bit wonky to see. How about an optional way that if the target gets off screen, the camera bounces back to the player? (until the target is back within the maximum range again)

Edit: PS, Perspective camera support looks great!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  31. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@Async0x42 I understand what you're saying. For that specific situation that's where the adjustment of a target's horizontal and vertical influence would come into place (you can test those parameters on the demo). But I have to leave those implementation details to the developer responsibility to make sure ProCamera2D is as flexible as possible.

For example, on your game you might want to adjust a target influence based on his distance to the main character, but someone else might want to adjust the influence based on the distance to a specific object on the game.

Hope it makes sense. If you ever need some directions on how to achieve a specific behaviour let me know.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  32. Async0x42

Async0x42

Makes total sense, now that you've spelled out a couple examples for me!

Do you have a timeframe for when you think you might be finished the top-down shooter demo?

33. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

I've been busy with v1.1 and v1.2 and I already have a couple of requests for v1.3, so the top-down shooter demo is currently not my top priority. Anything specific you'd like to see on that demo?

34. Async0x42

Async0x42

The platformer demo was really well done so I was mostly interested in seeing how you'd apply it to a top-down. I'm working on a top-down rpg as a side-project, so it would be interesting to see!

Since that'll be a ways off, does the boundaries trigger work on the Y axis (in addition to X) out of the box? I'm thinking along the lines of the camera in Zelda for the NES. That's one thing I can think of for a top-down demo.

35. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Yes, all features work exactly the same on all axes (XY, XZ and YZ). All you have to do is to rotate the camera accordingly and choose the correct axis on the ProCamera2D editor. See this: http://www.procamera2d.com/user-guide/#axis

36. Async0x42

Async0x42

Yes sorry, I saw the axis selection before, but for a top-down camera like Zelda I meant the placing the boundry trigger on the Y axis in addition to the X axis. The demo displays is as placed on the X axis, shifting screens left and right. I was wondering if it could shift Up/Down as well as Left/Right

(As an example, a Zelda gameplay video around 0:35s into the video)

37. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Hello guys, this is the first test with ProCamera2D in a game im working on, the integration was super easy, the plugin is extremely efficient and well optimized.
    I just thought the camera zoom in perspective a little inaccurate, actually found it a little confusing to obtain a desired value when you want to zoom to a certain number considering the scenario that is building, but nothing that Luis can not improve. .
    I'm using the Z transform camera in - 20 and 30 in the FOV.

38. Async0x42

Async0x42

Looks really great! Hopefully some other users will demo what they've used it for, nice to see actual gameplay using it.

39. vamky

vamky

Hi! Thanks for looking into the matter.
    With help from our programmer, I think I have located the issue:
    The EnumUpdateType.cs in your plugin does not contain a namespace specification, so it will override dotween scripts' updatetype reference even when they have their own namespace specification. And it will interfere with any script trying to reference updatetype. Hope this helps!

40. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Yes, you can definitely do that! :) In the demo, you can see that we animate the bottom boundary when the player jumps into the platforms.
    So, yeah you can combine the boundaries triggers to achieve any kind of effect you can think of, including "vertical door" effects.

41. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Thanks for sharing this, really appreciate it!! It's awesome to see what people are doing with ProCamera2D :)

Not sure I understood your issue with the zooming though. Can you please explain further?

42. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Oh, thanks for detecting that! I'll fix it on the next update. Thanks!!

43. vamky

vamky

No problem! Looking forward for the update!

44. Async0x42

Async0x42

Ah yeah, I see it now, it wasn't clicking since I was looking at is as platformer stuff haha, that's great, thanks!

45. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

46. BTStone

BTStone

Hey @luispedrofonseca
    How's development going? What are your future plans for ProCamera2D? Do you think you can put a more user-friendly Parallax-Setup similar to something like EZParallax (we talked about that one) in maybe 1.3 ? :)

47. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Hi @BTStone,

Development is going great! I just submitted v1.3 to the Asset Store which brings a number of bug-fixes and most importantly full compatibility with 2D Toolkit.

I'm currently planning v1.4 and a more user-friendly parallax setup is definitely part of it. Another feature that I keep getting more and more requests about is pixel-perfect, so I'm researching to see what's the best way to approach it.

I've also updated the initial post on this thread to contain the change-log so it's clearer to everyone what's going on.

Cheers!

48. BTStone

BTStone

Great stuff! What does full compatibility with 2D Toolkit mean exactly? I had no issues so far with 2DToolkit and ProCamera2D.

49. Async0x42

Async0x42

Curious question, how long did you spend developing this before deciding it was ready for release on the asset store?

50. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Yeah, most of it already worked nicely with 2D Toolkit but there were a few broken things. All of them related to the camera size and zooming (which is calculated differently in 2D Toolkit), specifically: Zoom-To-Fit plugin, TriggerZoom helper and Parallax zoom.

Once v1.3 is out and if you're using 2DToolkit all you have to do is add the following to Scripting Define Symbols on your build settings: "PC2D_TK2D_SUPPORT".

It took me around 6 months working a couple of hours per day on it after my daily job. I explain a little more about that here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/up...finitive-2d-camera-solution-for-unity.343755/