Search Unity

[RELEASED] Multiple Terrain Brush

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Aug 20, 2015.

1. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi.

We have new pack here! With Multiple Terrain Brush you can paint your multiple terrains at scene like they were one big terrain, without any switching! You can also stitch terrains using blur brush!
    Official movie:

Community movie:

Full info:
    Multiple Terrain Brush is an editor tool with brushes for heightmaps and textures that work on multiple terrains. You can easily paint heightmap and textures, without switching from terrain to terrain. With multiple terrain burshes you can avoid terrain holes in borders during height map painting and editing. Brushes also contain smooth which is stitching and it's removing terrain holes.

Pack contains:

- Heightmaps brushes
    - Texture painting brushes
    - Smooth brush with stitching function
    - Multiple terrain texture adding system
    - Manual
    - Nonsquare terrains support
    - Compatibility with World Streamer and Terrain Stitcher

Version 1.5
    - huge speed up, even 1000x
    - additional box info if terrain at the scene have diffrent resolution or height
    - bug fixes

Version 2.0
    - tool will be many times faster
    - fixed bugs
    - fixed all strange results with very specific parameters

Version 2.1 (current)
    - fixed painting on specific setup
    - fixed undo option

Asset Store Link.

Example of use:

screens1.jpg screens2.jpg screens3.jpg

Visit us:

Facebook
    Twitter
    Our website - naturemanufacture.com
    Discord - support

You could also look at our other packs:

Unity Tools:
    River Auto Material 2019 - create fabalous river in few seconds, (ground textures included)

River Auto Material - create fabalous river in few seconds, (ground textures included)
    Lava & Volcano Envrionment 2019- create fabalous lava enviro, volcano, river, cave.
    Lava & Volcano Envrionment - create fabalous lava enviro, volcano, river, cave.
    World Streamer - optimise your game, stream data and remove memory, cpu, gpu usage, create endless looped world. Reduce loading times.
    Terrain Stitcher Tools - connect multiple terrains, remove holes in 1 button click. Options will help you to handle any shape connections. Easy and fast border stitching.
    Multiple Terrain Brush - work at multiple terrains as they become one, without any borders and holes

Terrain Shading:
    CTS terrain shader 2019- AAA terrain render and textures made with Adam Goodrich, 1 pass (less drawcalls then unity terrain), snow,water auto cover. Totaly easy in use.
    CTS terrain shader - AAA terrain render and textures made with Adam Goodrich, 1 pass (less drawcalls then unity terrain), snow,water auto cover. Totaly easy in use.

Environment:
    Forest Environment - Dynamic Nature -
    huge library of trees, rocks, grass, branches, slopes, best artistic content winner at unity awards 2019.
    Meadow Environment - Dynamic Nature - huge library of trees, rocks, grass, flowers
    Mountain Tree Pack - Dynamic Nature - HQ optimised tree pack. Cheap in render and gives fabalous render result.
    Ice World - ice shaders for water and models with huge ice textures library
    PBR Graveyard Pack - really huge library of PBR cemetery sculpted and scanned models with foliage. You will find monastery, interiors, graveyards, nature, walls
    Advanced Rock Pack - auto-covered rocks which you could easly blend with unity terrain. Big library of HQ ground textures included.
    Advanced Foliage Pack - huge library of foliage (grass, roots, trunks) with ground textures. Vegetation studio supported.
    Photo Scanned Park Assets - photoscanned and optimised park models like fountains, statues, bench, laterns, stairs and fences. Best LOD's in the planet :D
    Dynamic Nature Starter - library of rocks, trees ground textures and shaders which could be autcovered by snow at runtime.
    Winter Mountains and Stamps - group of background mountains and stamps for gaia and new unity terrain 2018.3+
    Realistic Grass Pack - pretty old grass (billboard) texture library
    Realistic Tree Pack - pretty old big library of trees, optimised and cheap in render
    Mountain Tree Pack - pretty old group of mountain trees, optimised and cheap in render.

Ground Textures:
    Winter Ground Pack - library of winter ground textures like rocks, snow, paths , grass etc
    Landscape Ground Pack - big library of ground/forest textures
    Landscape Ground Pack 2- big library of ground textures

VR & FP Models:
    VR Hands FP Arms - pack of hands and arms models with fabalous skin shader. Mobile and standalone versions.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    imDanOush and John3D like this.
  2. gibmation

gibmation

Hi there,

I cant seem to make height brushes work on my terrains.
    I don't see the blue tool marker on terrain.
    Works fine on your test scene.
    Have also noticed that you mention it requires unity v 5.1.2.
    I have v 5.1.1f1 and cant find v5.1.2.

Thanks

G

3. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi

Your terrain collider thickness mustbe greater than 0. We use raycasts in our brushes. This should help.

4. gibmation

gibmation

I can now see it working.
    My terrains are quite large so I had brush size to 50 but could not see anything happen.
    I changed brush size to 12 and I can now see it closing the seams.
    I cant see the blue marker though so it is difficult to guess where you working at but I can see that seam are closing up nicely.
    Any idea why I cant see the blue marker?

Attached Files:

• mtb.JPG
      mtb.JPG
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
  5. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Terrain size is not a problem. Do you have any errors? It shouldn't work like that. Could you give me screen shot from terrain collider? Contact me at skype: dahrrrr we will take a look. You said it work ok at test scene?

6. gibmation

gibmation

Apologies. it seems to work well on seams coming down the terrain but not across it.

Getting this error:

DivideByZeroException: Division by zero
    MultiTerrainEditor.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:780)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1999)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1352)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1188)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

In your scene it closes seams but can not see marker either.

G.

Attached Files:

• mtb.JPG
      mtb.JPG
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
  7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

This error only shows when you got marker between terrains and there is no terrain that raycast can hit. You have got big holes than:p. If you want to stitch it, you only need to touch one border and it will work fine. We will fix that but basically this is not an issue. If you normaly moving brush on terrains it works fine?

8. gibmation

gibmation

No cant seem to close this hole.
    Getting this error now...

Texture '' is degenerate (dimensions 0x0)
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels()
    MultiTerrainEditor:OnSceneGUI(SceneView) (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:772)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

9. gibmation

gibmation

Hole is not that large. Holes in your terrain are larger.

G.

Attached Files:

• mtb2.JPG
      mtb2.JPG
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
  10. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ok, I think you need Unity 5.1.2 or higher, some functions are not avaible at older unity versions..
    http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases here you can find all unity versions. I think Patch 5.1.3p2 is most stable at the moment. If this don't help you please contact me at skype. It will take few minutes and it should work fine.

11. gibmation

gibmation

Ok I now have V5.2.0f3

Have removed and re-installed Multiple Terrain Brush with same results...

Texture '' is degenerate (dimensions 0x0)
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels()
    MultiTerrainEditor:OnSceneGUI(SceneView) (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:772)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I don't have skype - will try to install and contact you.
    G.

12. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ok, so I'm waiting I will also give this case to our coder.

13. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I have sent you fix via mail. Please check it. It should help, if anyone else will have that problem please contact me. I will update pack at asset store.

14. gibmation

gibmation

Guys thanks for the help earlier today.
    I used Terrain Stitcher and worked brilliantly.
    Thanks again.
    G.

15. zmaxz

zmaxz

Hi~
    Do your tool " Multiple Terrain Brush " can work with " Relief Terrain Pack "?

16. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes I tested it few days ago. I think I will make tutorial. I would like to show how it works. Btw your terrains must be square size (XZ) until we will make update.

17. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Anyone tried using this in conjunction with RTP? Might be interested.

Otherwise if you want someone to test it for the first time hit me up ;)

18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

As I said it work with RTP:)

19. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Oops sorry didnt see!

20. zmaxz

zmaxz

HI ~
    I press Alt+LMouse just want to rotate view for check,
    I don`t want to paint terrain,
    If i press Alt dont paint anything,Can you fix this?

THX

21. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Sure we can add this option:). Send us mail to naturemanufacture@gmail.com, We wil send you quick fix.

22. Autarkis

Autarkis

@NatureManufacture , wonderful little tool! I saw on the asset store reviews that someone else is seeing slowdowns with this, I only have it happening at times, not always, but its enough to be a little bit of an issue, is there anything you need from me to diagnose the problem? I saw you write as a reply to that review that it should be as fast as the default tools.
    Running into a little problem when i sample height from the terrain, it often picks a completely different value than where I'm clicking. Always have to look at the editor window to see what value it decided to pick was too high/too low compared to the last value I picked. Any idea why the raycast isnt picking up correct values? ( using RTP on it, but i dont think that would cause an issue like reading wrong Y. ) Anyway, hope you have some idea of how to fix it.
    Also, I'm wondering if a future collaboration with the author of the Erosion Brush would be possible? I'd die of happiness if i could run the erosion brush seamlessly between two tiles.. just a thought :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It could happen when you are working at terrain borders. There are few things to upgrade, we are aware of that. We simply need to rewrite few things.
    About your issue:
    We use raycasting. Does terrain collider is from this terrain data? Ouh I forgot unity have a bug with near and far camera plane. That means if you use mouse scroll in your editor screen, near plane and far plane values are changing but center of the camera is still in the same place, so raycast could be from different place than editor camera truly is. That is why there is a difference between point you click and place the marker is. Please double click on any object at your scene - for example terrain. This will restart unity near and far plane camera values. This is unity bug, in some cases it could even cut models from your near view at editor camera. Try to double click on object and move your camera only by keyboard
    We will fix that in next up, write me an email and I will send you fix earlier.
    I had a waypoint system that uses mouse click (raycast ) to set up waypoint and I had the same problem.

About erosion tool we will try:)

24. Autarkis

Autarkis

Thanks @NatureManufacture .
    About the erosion tool, i was just talking to the author, and he's actually been working on implementing a multi terrain feature to his brush, so no worries there between having you two potentially work together!
    Yeah, it happens mostly at terrain seams, understandably. I saw you mentioned that there is smoothing happening as you're crossing over the seams, would it be possible to have a smoothing on/off switch in the window? I believe that it would speed it up, as I dont need that smoothing feature enabled at all times ( I mostly smooth stuff using the erosion brush :), which obviously provides a much better natural erosion smoothing vs just brush smooth)
    As for raycasting, yeah, i'm aware of that issue, it's the single worst thing that Unity never worked on for terrain manipulation, anything more than 4 terrains in scene and it's just much harder to navigate through ( doing a frame on cursor resets it by showing up the whole terrain instead of a more localized framing.)
    By waypoint, did you mean something like the waypoint in the ramp brush ( if you're familiar with that brush?) where the brush would act along a particular path you pick? Man, that would be sweet in here, but yeah, i hear you, the terrain implementation is just bad in Unity ( not holding any hope with whatever they're rewriting for it in the 5.x cycle), so big thanks to you and the other asset devs that are improving the workflow. I'll shoot you an email to get access to the fix?

Update:
    What would be nice since the raycasting/terrain issues in unity arent really working, would be to have a series of height presets that I could click on in the window to set it at a particular range? (y=100, y=200 ... , would be nice if those values could set set in editor itself, but I wouldnt find if it's a quick hardcoded thing to edit in the script itself?)
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  25. Edgaras-Randis

Edgaras-Randis

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. MultiTerrain.MultiTerrainEditor.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:805)
    3. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2013)
    4. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1359)
    5. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1192)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Also for some reason I can't seem to get projector working in current project (not projecting texture on terrain), creating an empty project works, but the difference between 2 can't seem to spot.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  26. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I can't reproduce that at unity 5.2+, because I can't reproduce unity camera bug with near plane;/. What unity are you using?

Ok so there could be few things:
    - Does your terrain have collider on? (we use raycasting), and thickness greater than 0?
    - I will sent that to coder, we also could meet at skype and fix that ,but if it's work at empty project it could be a specyfic project setting. It will be great to know what could make multiterrain to stop working.
    - Error could dissapear after unity restart. If you attach this pack sometimes you need to restart unity.
    - Make sure that you have last version of our tool because we fixed alot 2 weeks ago.
    - You need 5.1.4+ unity version.

Edit: I got fix for that. Sent me an email - naturemanufacture@gmail.com . Please include invoice number from asset store and I will give you fixed files.

Ah summary , this is why I really hate unity terrain, and unity editor camera.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  27. Stone-Legion

Stone-Legion

This is really sweet asset. I left a message on your video if you care to check it out and also bump since more and more people need to realize multiple Terrains is the only proper way these days to work on your game and using an asset like this is very important.

28. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yeap this is the only sensible way to create world, but not in every game;). Yeah I will answer it.

Stone-Legion likes this.
  29. Redrag

Redrag

Hi - Just bought this - it works great on the sample scene. But I am getting some sort of conflict on my scene:
    ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32[],UnityEngine.Terrain].Add (System.Int32[] key, UnityEngine.Terrain value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404)
    MultiTerrain.MultiTerrainEditor.GetTerrains () (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:881)
    MultiTerrain.MultiTerrainEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:256)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

30. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

How many terrains you have at the scene? We are fixing it right now. A dev with 121 terrains at the scene, had the same issue. When he work temporary on smaller count it works. Could you try this for a while?

31. Redrag

Redrag

Just 4 terrains at the moment.. I think it might be a naming thing. Just renamed a terrain which had same name as another and it did not error

32. Stone-Legion

Stone-Legion

Just want to say the tool works perfectly. I made 9 Terrains in total and one the nice features is bigger brush sizes then what you normally can use due to the height map settings etc.

The only down side for me anyways it lags quite a bit. I'm only using on a flat scene to test it since my entire projects pretty much flat but I thought I share some the feedback of it.

I'm going make some videos on it at a later date since I want to show it at it's peak and clearly your releasing new updates soon.

But it's a great start and I can see this tool growing to become a must have with any project.

33. Redrag

Redrag

Hi - the error has come back. I have just 2 terrains now. There are also these issues:
    1. For 'raise/lower terrain' there is a height setting. is this the same as opacity? not quite sure why the name would have changed? Even on the lowest 'height' setting the height change is too much for fine adjustments.
    2. When I hold ALT to rotate the terrain it carries on painting. This is a real pain!
    3. It does not seem to be very good at joining the gaps between terrains - is there a trick to improve that?

On the test scene everything works..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  34. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

What have you done to reproduce that bug?
    3. You mean it's slow?
    2. Ok we will add this in fixed version, I never used alt during terrain painting, so I haven't feel that is important, but if it is, we will add that.
    1. Yes height is the same as opacity in first tool (we will also fix that). Ummm so you have big height max value, ok we will add smaller values. Temporary you could change 435 line in multiterrain editor script to:
    newHeight = EditorGUILayout.Slider ("Height", newHeight, 1/100, 100);

35. Redrag

Redrag

Thanks for that _- I will change line 435 and look forward to the update on the ALT - is there another way of rotating I could use meantime?

Re the error, I started all over again just to make sure all was clean. I already have 1 terrain, so I added another. As soon as I started your tool I got the error. I think the gaps are to do with that as it works fine on the test scene. So as I paint height it doesn't seem to really work on the adjoining scenes together.

36. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You have your terrains on different scenes?

37. Redrag

Redrag

No - its all in one scene! I mean that I can make this all work in your tutorial scene.

38. Redrag

Redrag

Thanks very much for sorting that out over a Skype call - brilliant service - we could do with more developers like this!

39. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ok all errors have been fixed, I will upload that today. We will also add this alt for rotation and change height name;)

40. Irish-Merlin

Irish-Merlin

I'm using Unity 5.3.0f4 and Multiple Terrain Brush 1.4.

I started a new scene, added two separate terrains. I am able to see the blue marker and make hills on two terrains. Only problem is that the terrain doesn't stitch at all.

Only errors I saw was this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    2. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32[],UnityEngine.Terrain].Add (System.Int32[] key, UnityEngine.Terrain value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404)
    3. MultiTerrain.MultiTerrainEditor.GetTerrains () (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:881)
    4. MultiTerrain.MultiTerrainEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/MultiTerrainEditor/Scripts/Editor/MultiTerrainEditor.cs:256)
    5. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Suggestions?

Attached Files:

41. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi. This is what we fixed in 1.4.5 As I see it's available on asset store from today. Could you update your tool to 1.4.5?

42. akareactor

akareactor

Nice look, but what about terrains with different heightmap resolutions? For example, one terrain has 513, and neighbour has 2049 resolution. Whether brush will work with it?

43. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi!
    Sorry this is not possible. There will be problem with LOD too. Engine couldn't hold proper LOD in the borders when terrains resolution are different.

44. Mogpolgludh

Mogpolgludh

I have interesting issue. Ever since I updated to version 1.4.5 every time I log in to unity it shows this asset needs an update. I clicked and updated, the button turns into a download button (indicating it is updated) and all is ok. When I log out, and log in next day it shows it needs update again. What I done next was to delete the entire NatureManufacture > Editor ExtensionsTerrain folder then update. Had no effect though. Anybody have this issue with this asset or any other? What exactly causes this and how to fix?

45. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Umm..., have you got more than one unity installed? I think I seen this kind of problem before, but I don't remember nothing more.

46. Mogpolgludh

Mogpolgludh

Thank You NatureManufacturer. I have 470f1 installed, but "Asset Store" folder is empty, as rarely use 4. I have 5.3.2f1 installed, and is where I update assets from. Just deleted the folder again and disc cleaned, refreshed asset store, downloaded again. Refreshed asset store (in unity editor) and it wants to update again. I have version 1.4.5 This certainly does not appear to be issue with asset, otherwise, by now, someone else would have posted. I am curious though, you do not need to, but if want to suggest ideas for me to explore, I will try things to figure it out. Maybe there is some thread in some unity forum area where I could post this to see if anybody else experienced similar, I have no idea where to search and post though. If I do figure it out I will post link to thread here. You have suggestion where I might post the issue?

47. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi!
    Do you know unity store assets that you downloaded in specific folder and when you click upload/import it don't download asset again but only import it from specific folder? Deleta asset from this folder.
    In windows 7: C(disc with windows):\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x
    When you click download it will load new asset from assetstore,instead use old one.

48. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi!
    We solved all performance problems at huge heightmap resolutions, also we optimize stitching so it will work 1000x faster now! Soon we will upload new 1.5 version! New version will be available in 5 days

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  49. TLMultimedia

TLMultimedia

Hi

I am wondering if this is compatible with World Composer (and its companion Terrain Composer)?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13238

I use these two assets quite a bit but do find the idea of not having to select terrains one-at-a-time appealing.

Thanks.

50. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi.
    Yes, it work fine with Terrain and World Composer. I also use Nathaniel tools in my development;)