Search Unity

Pixel Weather FX: 2d and 3d weather particle systems in the pixel art style

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ladrik, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Ladrik

Ladrik

This package contains 30 weather effects with different prefabs for 2D and 3D. Easy drag and drop prefabs! All assets can be easily recolored to fit your needs. Detailed documentation to help you customize the assets to fit your game. I will be growing and supporting this asset based on feedback and response.

Update 1.1
    -Added Particle Scale tool
    Update 1.05
    -Unity 5 support!
    -Fixed rain collision in Unity 5

Effects Include:
    •Rain
    •Snow
    •Clouds
    •Wind / Leaves
    •Fog
    •Tornado
    •Lightning

See all the effects in action: [Web Player Demo] | [WebGL Demo]

For help getting started with the asset you can take a look at these short videos I created.

Working with 3D Prefabs:

Working with 2D Prefabs:

If you have any feedback or suggestions please let me know!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    astracat111 likes this.
  2. Ladrik

Ladrik

3. MangeyD

MangeyD

Hi,

I bought this yesterday and am excited by it!! loads of potential and options and it will suit lots of different projects... so well done.

I have had a look at the documentation and it is very good explaining some detailed customisation once you are up and running but it sadly lacks a basic getting started section to understand what to drag out where and how to set the different effects up just to get them going... long before you are worrying about customising the colour, size or collision effect.

I hope you can provide some getting started docs as I really don't want to blunder around trying to work out how to add the different effects to my projects and I will get frustrated quite quickly!!

thx in advance for any help you can give me in getting up and running using this awesome looking set of weather effects.

Maynard

4. Ladrik

Ladrik

Hi Maynard,

I am glad you are excited about the asset! I appreciate the feedback and understand your concerns regarding the documentation. I am thinking that a short video showing a use case scenario of getting some weather into a scene might be the best solution. I will try to have the video completed by tomorrow at the latest. If you need some information sooner feel free to contact me in the mean time so I can answer any questions.

5. MangeyD

MangeyD

That sounds perfect and I will wait for the video.

Thx

6. Ladrik

Ladrik

Ok just finished getting them uploaded. I decided to do separate videos for working with the 3D and 2D prefabs.

3D prefabs:

2D prefabs:

This is my first time trying something like this so it may be a little rough. Let me know if it was helpful.

7. MangeyD

MangeyD

Thanks I will check them out later today and give you some feedback.

8. MangeyD

MangeyD

I have just checked out the 3D video and it is perfect thanks. Makes me feel a little guilty that I needed help as it is so easy... but looking at the demo scene there were so many different elements to it and I was unsure of what was required for my own scenes... seeing that it is as simple as dragging the prefabs out is fabulous.

thanks again for the efforts and I think these vids will be a very handy addition to an awesome product.

9. Ladrik

Ladrik

I am glad the video was helpful! I have already been able to help another user using the video, don't feel guilty! It is great to hear you are so happy with the asset :) thank you

10. the_whispering

the_whispering

Thank you very, very much for this asset! Me and my team are using it for an upcoming game and it makes life a lot easier for us. I`ll share the project as soon as we make an announcement on it. :)

However I got one question: Everything works fine, but on one particular case I got a strange issue I cannot find a solution to: On one effect the particles disappear one of the sudden, but the effect hasn't stopped working or was killed with a lifetime-variable. It's more like it's getting invisible for a second and comes back. I can see it in the 3d-view working constantly, but one I change to 2d (or game is in 2d), it comes to this kind of slow flickering after 10 or 15 after the effect startet.

Any ideas? Does this have something to do with layers? I'm using three of them for archiving an convinding effect, back-, middle- and foreground. However even when disabeling two of them the custom made effect (I did not use one of the prefabs) keeps dropping out.

11. Ladrik

Ladrik

Hi, thank you for the kind words! I would love to get a link to your project when you announce.

I am sorry you have run into an issue. Unfortunately I have not experienced what you describe and don't have a good suggestion yet. If I can recreate the issue on my end I might be able to help you more. Which prefab is experiencing the issue? is it the 2d or 3d version of the prefab? Have you tried dropping in the prefab into your scene without any modifications and seeing if the issue still occurs?

12. the_whispering

the_whispering

Thank you for your quick reply! Actually ... I already solved the issue and guess what: It got nothing to do with your asset! :D

Something went wrong with coordinates of some layers and at first glance it looked like it had something to do with the particle system. However, this was not the case. Your asset works perfectly.

Sorry for that. I'm usually composing music and writing stories for games. I should get used to Unity more before posting questions in forums. Thanks again for your great asset! :)

13. Ladrik

Ladrik

No problem! I am glad you were able to figure out the issue.

14. TobyYe

TobyYe

Hi, will you keep updating this asset? Now I use unity 5.6, I wonder if there will be some issue.

15. Ladrik

Ladrik

Hi, Sorry I could not respond sooner. I have just tested the asset on Unity 5.6 and all of the prefabs seem to work fine. The particle scaler tool is outdated and doesn't function properly but Unity has introduced new features making it unnecessary. I will probably do an update taking out the scaler tool for new versions of Unity. Thanks for the inquiry.

Here is how you can scale the particles now: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/ParticleSystemScalingMode.html

16. TobyYe

TobyYe

Thank you for the reply. I want to now how to use the ParticleSystemScalingMode? Can I used it in editor or only in script?

17. Ladrik

Ladrik

You can use this system directly in the editor, no script required. You find the setting directly on the particle system in the inspector. I captured an image showing the setting in the inspector. Hope that helps!

18. luniac

luniac

can I use this with SLATE cinematic sequencer as particle effect clips? in editor?

19. astracat111

astracat111

@Ladrik I'm loving the asset so far.

In 2018 you need to make sure that all of the shaders are set to Sprite rather than Unity's 'Normal' shader. For the rain and snow I had to drag the children up, as I wanted the axis to be located at the bottom rather than the top of the storm.

peanutgallery likes this.
  20. starfoxy

starfoxy

Anyone tried running this in 2019.3? Any issues? Is this asset still alive? I sure hope so.

--update--

Ok so it all seems to work fine on 2019.3 but I can't get to any of the special tools from the window menu. For example, the 'pixel weather scale tool' is not showing up under 'window'. Any ideas how I can rectify?

--disregard--

It looks like the tool has been removed in lieu of Unity's particle scale system.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  21. WeAreMelmoss

WeAreMelmoss

Does this asset work on Unity 2020 or newer and with URP ? Thanks