Search Unity

"Meet the Devs" -- Post Your Questions

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Mads-Nyholm, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

We're doing a live Unite Now: Meet the devs session next week.
    There'll be more info about the new Prefab Mode In Context feature coming in 2020.1, and then we'll answer questions from you. Join us on Tuesday, July 7th at 8:00am PDT.

This will be a Q&A session. If you have questions that you'd like to see answered there, feel free to post them here.

You can register for the session on the Unite Now page.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2020
    karl_jones likes this.
  2. Hertzole

Hertzole

Not sure if this is the right place but I would love to know more about the prefab handles feature. When can we get to see more about them and not just a very small gif of it in the roadmap video?

3. aurelioprovedo

aurelioprovedo

I have two questions about conflicts when refactoring a prefab:
    1. How can the user handle any possible conflicts? For example, mismatches in gameobjects' names. Are you providing any troubleshooting view, like a modal popup, to let the user fix those conflicts?
    2. What will happen with component references if there are more than two components of the same type in the target prefab?
    Thanks in advance!

4. runevision

runevision

Hi RealMTG, I'm not quite sure what this Prefab handles feature is. Could you link to the roadmap video in question and specify at what timestamp it's mentioned?

5. Hertzole

Hertzole

They are talked about here at 21:13. Again, not sure if directly appropriate to the rest of the prefab workflow, but still semi-related to prefabs.

6. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    The Prefab Instance Replacement feature is early in its development but to answer your questions:
    1) We currently only handle objects with a unique name in the hierarchy (an exception to that is the the root gameobject and its transform: references to those will always survive).
    2) Multiple components is currently ignored/not handled.
    We don't currently show a dialog with the failed info. But that might be a good idea so something we will discuss/consider.

7. runevision

runevision

Thanks! Although it has "Prefabs" in the name, it's not something our team has been involved in. I'll ping the World Building team and see if they have anything to say.

They tell me:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Hertzole likes this.
  8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes! I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's a very exciting, totally separate thing where you can build your own prefabs (complete with interaction, animation, text, audio, etc) and then re-use those prefabs as custom handles/gizmos, in the editor, or at runtime.

Hertzole and runevision like this.
  9. Hertzole

Hertzole

I also don't want to hijack the thread so is there any place where this can be discussed further and we can get some more info about it?

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  10. JesOb

JesOb

I have question for prefabs at all.
    When we can expect Unity to make exposed properties and lock prefab instance properties modification?

It is actually biggest pain working with prefabs in UI

11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Sure! I'd suggest posting in the World Building forum (here), and our team will be happy to chat! :)

12. runevision

runevision

The encapsulated Prefabs feature we showed in the session is all about locking/preventing Prefab instance modifications. It's a work in progress and won't ship in 2020.

The initial version of it won't support exposing properties, but that's something we'll be looking into adding in later releases.

JesOb likes this.
  13. AliAlbarrak

AliAlbarrak

Will encapsulated Prefabs support adding child gameObjects?
    If so, can we specify the parent of added children? Something like transclusion feature in AngularJS components.

JesOb likes this.
  14. runevision

runevision

In the initial version, child GameObjects can be added to the root of the encapsulated Prefab instance.

Being able to add children to other GameObjects would require exposing which GameObjects can have children added, and is something we'd like to address at a later point together with other exposing functionality.

AliAlbarrak likes this.