Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Colorful FX | Post-Processing Effects and Photoshop-like Color Correction Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Colorful FX is a collection of high-quality, fast and customizable post-processing effects and color adjustments for Unity. Continuously supported since mid-2012 !

Easy to use
    Clean user interface with tons of options, sliders, presets. Complete user manual with screenshots and tips. All effects can be animated via scripting or using the Animation window.

Optimized
    Each effect has been tuned for maximum performances with multiple shader variants depending on the settings you actually use.

Multiplatform
    Ready for production use on desktop, webplayer and mobile platforms (iOS and Android).

Check out the user manual for a complete list of all effects !

Full source code included.
    Models & textures in screenshots by Andromeda Station and Unity Technologies (not included in the package).

Requires Unity 4 Pro or Unity 5 (Personal or Pro).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    turboscalpeur and Demigiant like this.
  2. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I just pushed an update to the Asset Store (will be available soon) !

Changelog (1.1) :
    • Photo Filter now takes a Color as input instead of three floats.
    • New effect, Radial Blur, also known as "Zoom" Blur !

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. 2Dboomer

2Dboomer

Very concerned. I want to know is it supports IOS ?

4. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Haven't tried it on iOS yet, I need to get access to a Mac before my iOS Pro trial runs out, but I can already tell you that some of these effects *may* be too expensive for older devices.

Generally speaking, full-screen post processing effects are more of a desktop feature because of more powerful GPUs, but I guess it would run fine on iPhone 4+ and iPad 2+ if you don't overuse them (you'll need iOS Pro, obviously).

I'll let you know as soon as I can get access to a Mac.

5. 2Dboomer

2Dboomer

Thank you for reply Chman!
    I'm so excited If it can support!
    About performance issues maybe I can buy to try later.

6. Jessy

Jessy

The iPhone 4's GPU performance is nothing like that of the iPad 2, or even the 3GS that preceded it, assuming native resolution. Maybe you meant 4S.

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Yep, I meant 4S (too many iOS devices with weird names, I'm starting to mix them up). I have serious doubt the iPhone 4 would be able to use any kind of post processing effects in retina mode.

Anyway, new update in coming !

Changelog (1.2) :
    • New effect, Analog TV, emulates a CRT screen with scanlines, static noise and barrel distortion !
    • New effect, Double Vision.
    • New effect, Frost, that looks like viewing through an ice-frosted glass (can be used as a vignette too, to "freeze" the screen progressively).

8. akasurreal

akasurreal

Has anyone tested these on mobile yet to see which, if any, perform ok on mobile device. I am working on a game where I was hoping to slowly unblur, or slowly unpixelate a static image for example and would like it to run on 3GS.

9. akasurreal

akasurreal

I will answer my own question. I went ahead and bought this and did a few tests.

Doing a fullscreen test with Analog TV filter.. iPhone4S, great.. iPhone4 ~7FPS (!), iPhone 3GS ~25FPS... 3GS really benefits from less pixels even though its an older device. I think for my particular use I will be able to make this work by not processing full screen and I don't need very high performance.

Er_ellison likes this.
  10. imtrobin

imtrobin

no demo?

11. sungwoo

sungwoo

very nice~ I just need the tool like this!.Can it work in unity3d 4.0 and DX11?

12. chingwa

chingwa

Can't believe I've missed this... This seems like an excellent idea and implementation. I will definitely keep this in mind once some of my current projects come to a more mature state. :)

13. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I just pushed an update to the AssetStore with a few bug fixes and Unity 4 / DirectX 11 support. It's still in review, but it should be available in the next few days.

14. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Update is up.

Changelog (1.3) :
    • Now compatible with Unity 4 and DirectX 11.
    • Small bug fixes.

15. sungwoo

sungwoo

Wow~,I should remind my friend to purchase one

16. nixter

nixter

This looks great, but would definitely benefit from a web demo hosted on a website or Dropbox.

17. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The asset store link in the first post is no good.

Project sounds great though.

18. Jebus

Jebus

Is it possible to edit the colour information such as hue/saturation and even contrast based on depth with this asset? The current unity colour correction component has the ability to edit colour based on depth, but it's very flakey and annoying to use the curves.

19. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

No, it's a global hue/saturation change, but I'll add this feature on my todo list. Can't say when it'll be implemented though.

20. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Update 1.3.1 is live.

Changelog (1.3.1) :
    • Code cleaning.
    • Performance improvements.

21. w00dn

w00dn

Hey Chman, is there any chance of having some sort of blend value on the double vision effect? Other than that, very nice package! :)

22. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm glad you like it ! As for a "blend" value, you mean a way to fade the effect like the "Amount" value in the grayscale filter ?

23. w00dn

w00dn

Yes, exactly like the amount slider in the grayscale filter! That would be very handy.

I noticed something else with the Levels effect. If I apply it to a camera, it keeps messing with my render textures in the scene and produces errors. (Null ref on Line 295 in CC_LevelsEditor.cs) I haven't really looked into it, but i commented out all calls to ComputeHistogram() which fixed the problem for me, as i don't really need the histogramm). If I had to guess, I'd say the Camera.main stuff might interfere with the rest of the scene somehow.

24. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'll add it to the next release.

Thanks for the report, I'll fix it asap.

25. w00dn

w00dn

Cool, thanks for the quick support!

26. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Update 1.3.2 is up.

Changelog (1.3.2) :
    • Double vision: fixed a brightness related bug.
    • Double vision: added a new slider to fade the effect.
    • Levels: fixed a null pointer exception that could happen in the Editor.

27. lauralynn

lauralynn

Hi - Any chance I could still get this for 3.5?

28. w00dn

w00dn

I just updated. Thank you very much for the fix and the change. :)

29. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hi,

As I sent the package to the Asset Store using Unity 4 it's automatically set as the minimum version required... Silly me. I'll re-install Unity 3.5 and upload my packages from there.

You're welcome !
    Don't forget to rate the asset ;)

30. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It's now available for Unity 3.5 as well :)

31. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks very nice!
    Just a question before I buy - do you have plan to include effects such as gaussian blur and depth of field? Specifically for mobile (iOS) that is.

32. toto2003

toto2003

no chance to have this for nonPro user? even with less fancy effect , i m really interested by the color correction curves...

33. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the late answer, the forum notifications are a bit broken apparently.

I don't have any plan about mobile support to be honest. Depth of field (I guess you don't want the one packaged with Unity?) is quite a heavy effect, but you can definitely cheat it on mobile. Take a look at this thread for a neat trick, there's even a free package to download with shaders and instructions, and it works quite well !

These effects all need the Render To Texture feature of Unity Pro (which is the only way to do it fast enough, really), there's no way I can think of that would make these possible in Unity Free.

34. w00dn

w00dn

Hey Chman,

I think Unity 4.1 just broke a lot of stuff in Colorful... :-/
    I'm getting magenta screens with Levels, TV and Double Vision so far.

35. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Ah noooo ! What have they done !
    I'll download Unity 4.1 as soon as I can and see what's going on, thanks for the report.

36. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Update available in the store.
    Apparently the CG compiler in Unity 4.1 is a bit picky with type casting...

37. w00dn

w00dn

Thanks for fixing! They work again as expected. :)

38. kaaJ

kaaJ

Weird, I'm still getting errors and a magenta screen after updating (I'm working with 4.1.2)
    Maybe some caching issue?

This is f.e. one of the errors I'm getting: Shader error in 'Hidden/CC_FastVignette': Program 'vert_img', incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor (compiling for d3d11) at line 22

Great product btw!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  39. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I just tried in an empty project, I don't get any error and the effects work as intended (4.1.2 DirectX 11)... So yes, I guess it's a cache issue. I would completely remove Colorful from the project and re-import it to make sure. If you still get errors, could you please send me your console / editor log via PM ?

Thanks !

40. kaaJ

kaaJ

Alright thanks for the reply...
    Tried with a new project, and that seems to be working. Deleting the cache and precompiled shaders will probably do the trick...
    I'll let you know if I have any other problems.

Cheers,

41. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I was receiving these errors too after updating. I'll try deleting the cache later today.

42. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

hi,

i am working with ngui and my game also have stereo,my issue when i add some image effect on camera,my ngui also take effect,i don't wont this,i can not use second camera because of stereo.any help shader or something else to solve this.

Dev

43. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Sorry, I've never done any stereoscopic work with Unity and I don't own NGUI, so I won't be able to help you out. You should ask this in the official NGUI forum, you'll get a response for sure.

44. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

ok,thnaks for reply.

45. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

New update available in the store !

Changelog (1.4) :
    • New effect, RGB Split.
    • New effect, Sharpen (different from the Contrast Enhance bundled with Unity Pro).

46. BigB

BigB

Hi there,

I'm having a weird problem with Colorful.
    Each time I add the CC_Channel Mixer to the camera, the component shows disabled.
    When I enable it nothing happens, and when I try to move the tabs I get this errors in the console :

Code (csharp):
    1. UnassignedReferenceException: The variable shader of 'CC_ChannelMixer' has not been assigned.
    2. You probably need to assign the shader variable of the CC_ChannelMixer script in the inspector.
    3. UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/Editor/Graphics.cs:1584)
    4. CC_Base.get_material () (at Assets/Colorful/Components/CC_Base.cs:31)
    5. CC_ChannelMixer.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) (at Assets/Colorful/Components/CC_ChannelMixer.cs:22)
    The thing is, my game is divided into several scenes.
    Somehow I got this working once in one of the scenes, and if I copy the camera from that scene into any other scene all works.
    Do you know what could be the problem ?

thanks,
    Bruno

47. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hi,

My first guess would be that you moved the Colorful folder into your Unity project instead of installing it from the unitypackage file (local or asset store). Because of that, Unity can't keep track of materials -> shaders reference (which can be quite annoying, I agree).

You can fix it in two ways :

1. Remove the Colorful folder and re-import it using the unitypackage file or through the asset store directly.
    2. Select each component you need in /Colorful/Components/CC_* (one by one) and make sure the correct shader is assigned in the Inspector (shaders are in /Colorful/Shaders/).

After that, adding a new CC_ChannelMixer component to the camera should work properly.

48. BigB

BigB

Hi Chman,

Nope, I haven't done it that way.
    I installed it trough the asset store, and then to add a component to the camera I just add it trough the editor.
    How do I add a shader to a component ?
    In this case the component CC_Channel Mixer does not have any shader to add there, only haves the tabs Red,Green,Blue.
    How do I see what shader is attached ?

thanks,
    Bruno

49. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

That's weird, it shouldn't happen then...

Well, here's the thing : to make the components nicer to use in the Inspector, I made custom Editor classes for each component (nicer UI and no useless fields like... the shader one). In this case, it poses a problem (that should never occur :/) because the shader field is invisible.

But as I said in my last post, you can check if a shader is assigned by selecting the component file in the Project tab. See this screenshot :

$iud9bim.png

If 'Shader' is set to 'None' like in the screenshot, then there's something wrong. Either re-import the package, or add the proper shader manually. You'll need to re-assign the component to your camera (it does not propagate to existing components unfortunately).

50. BigB

BigB

Hi Chman,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, the problem is exactly that, I have a <none> field in the shader tab as you pointed out.
    Now I can fix this, yay !!

Thanks again,
    Bruno