Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities (3D , 2D , PRO) Radar Builder 2022

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Ruchmair, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

You get everything you see and more.

PRO , 3D and 2D Radar Builder are powerful game development tool which allows game developers to quickly and easily create a wide range of radar and tracking systems without ever writing a single line of code

download the FREE UI Target Tracker Radar Builder extension

here : Download Free Full source code included.

Create First person or 3RD person World or screen space Radars , realtime and static Minimaps, Environment re-simulations, Tracking systems with 3D Radars and create minimaps , radars , tracking systems in screen space with 2D Radars.

This setup now actually take 30 seconds because now you just click one button.

Recreating Elite Dangerous style radar without coding ? :eek:

Tutorial for ALL Radar Builders

PRO Radar Builder

NOTE: Pro Radar Builder is a combination of both the 2D Radar Builder and the 3D Radar Builder.

For 3D Radar Creating the kind of radar systems you see in games like Star Citizen and Elite dangerous are easily created with the system. The creation process couldn't be easier for creating 2D Radars.

What are some applications of 3D Radar system in my game?
    • environment re-simulation. for example , a solar system of a room or busy street
    • Holographic style character interfacing and interaction
    • re-simulation of animations in radars and tracking systems
    • re-simulation of collision effects (particle effects) in radar and tracking systems
    • As long as you can attach something to a prefab , you can use that prefab as a blip. This opens up a whole new world of opportunities
    • 3D Radars are especially good for VR and 3D games as it allows for a more immersive gameplay experience
    • The radars can exist i nscreen space and world space
    • The radars allow you to choops your own optimation method with a button click
    • AND SO MUCH MORE

The sheer volume of uses is quite vast. YOU CAN EVEn TURN A 3R RADAR INTO A 2D RADAR!!!

Note : Blips are representations of objects existing inside your game(scene) and are displayed in your radar and tracking system

What kind of blips can be displayed ?
    3D Radar Builder supports
    • Spties as blips
    • Meshes as blips
    • Prefabs as blips
    2D Radar Builder supports

• Spties as blips
    • Prefabs as blips

What can be tracked with 2D and 3D Radar ?
    • You can track anything as long as it has a tag.

Some of what you get With 2D Radar Builder?
    • Multiple Radar blip sprites
    • Multiple Radar Sprites (200*200)
    • Multiple Example scenes
    • Multiple extra script component (which you can remove if you want)
    • Masking shaders
    • Multiple materials
    • prefab blip prefabs
    • EVERYTHING YOU SEE IN THE VIDEOS AND PICTURES FOR EACH ASSET

Some of what you get With 3D Radar Builder?

• Multiple Radar blip sprites
    • Multiple Radar Sprites (200*200)
    • Spae ship model
    • Space ship controls
    • star-map example
    • UI control example
    • Multiple Example scenes
    • Scripting documentation
    • Multiple extra script component (which you can remove if you want)
    • Masking shaders
    • Multiple materials
    • prefab blip prefabs
    • lens flare for special blips and environment
    • EVERYTHING YOU SEE IN THE VIDEOS AND PICTURES FOR EACH ASSET

Some of what you get With PRO Radar Builder?

• All OF THE ABOVE. EVERYTHING

Is there a limit to the amout of blips that can be displayed??

• NO there is no limit to the amount of blips that can be displayed .

FEATURES ??
    3D Radar Systems

• Tracking lines (lines which help to show which blips are farther awa
    • Multiple material support for mesh blips
    • Inverse object rotation tracking.
    • Prefab blips
    • mesh and prefab blip scaling with distance
    • LOD support for mesh Blips
    • Child object position tracking
    • Freeze transforms of blips
    • Rotation Retargeting
    • Multiple scaling tedniques
    • radar environment panning
    • and MORE !
    • Screen space 3D Radar function
    • 9 point snapping (snap the radar to 9 points of the screen)

2D Radar Systems

• Rotation Retargeting
    • 9 point snapping
    • Dynamic scaling
    • Multiple scaling technirues
    • Sprite and Prefab blips
    • and MUCH MORE

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    theANMATOR2b and FreakForFreedom like this.
  2. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Uh, very nice! First thought: "Why did he post screenshots from elite dangerous?" After reading your text, it became obvious. :D
    Will keep an eye on this!

Ruchmair likes this.
  3. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

hahaha awesome ! , exactly what I was going for.

We will be cranking and tuning this tool until it is even better.

4. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Updated demo scenes.
    you get everything seen here

Tutorial videos coming soon.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    FreakForFreedom likes this.
  5. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Looking really slick there! Don't know why this hasn't gotten more attention... but when is it coming to the asset store? :)

6. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Very possibly at the end of this month or a week earlier :)

I am glad that you like it !

7. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Radars and tracing systems work cross-platform.

Tutorial and demo videos are out now and the too. has been submitted to Unity and will be on the AssetStore whenever it is ready :)

In later tutorial videos I will explain

-Tracking system design from the ground up (NO CODING NEEDED)

-Holographic style surveillance system setup

-Re-simulating collisions in your radars

-Setting up accurate tracking systems

8. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

So here we are , January 7th.
    I'm being told by the Asset store team that some changes need to be made to the tab for the tool. No big problem though this is unfortunate for us and for those of you who have waited for the tool.

So we are now looking at a new date of between now and January 21.

However. While we waited for the tool to be reviewed we prepared a few more stuff.

3D Radar Builder
    3D Radar Builder (Source Included)

2D Radar Builder
    2D Radar Builder (Source Included)

Pro Radar Builder
    Pro Radar Builder (Source Included)

As shown here

Has time to get the 4th Tutorial video ready. GREAT STUFF !!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  9. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Could it be that you misused the term "open source" since you seem to be charging for the versions with it? Open Source generally means that the source is open too all for free for study purposes under certain licenses... what you mean is "source included", right?

10. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

And it does appear that "open source" was misused, as no document stipulating terms of use was included.
    That was a mistake on our part.
    We are going to chop $5.00 off the wrongly labeled tool.
    so the tool with the source codes included is $5.00 extra.

Another mistake and I may have to chop off some more numbers.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  11. twomack37

twomack37

Any Update on this? Really looking forward to it !

12. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

The tool should be live on the AssetStore before the 20th of this month :D

You can check the "Function to come" and "Update History" spoilers for info on changes made and to be made to the tool.

All in all things are pretty much as you see them now.

so just a few more days until it goes live.:)

13. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Hi guys

I was recently contacted about the "Source Included" version. Here is what we have to say.

The internal library contains code which is largely external in function to the Radar System. The Library is not completed and is part of our Larger API DaiMangou Reality Engine. The library is what we used to design parts of the editor window , which you can even delete at the end of development.

You can also delete the Library too.

however you would need to add

using UnityEditor;
    using UnityEngine;

to your _ProRadarBuilder.cs , _2D RadarBuilder.cs or _3DRadarBuilder.cs

then remove any DaiMangou namespace and anything extending from DaiMangou. But you should only do this when you are done building your radar. Once we have completed the library, it too will be made public to the person who have purchased the (source included) version of any tool.

14. twomack37

twomack37

Got a chance to look a little bit thru the package last night and this morning. Looks really neat. One thing that might really help is more documentation in the getting started and a scene with just one radar implemented. Having a scene with a bunch of radars is a bit confusing. Also it might be good to actually have a material on the enemy objects so you can see them when you are flying. Cannot wait to dig in more later. Thanks!

15. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Awesome , thanks .
    Update releases will have more documentation for the (source included) versions and also they will have the patch placed in it.

got it ;)

Now ,the problem now is that Youtube removed the full tutorial video. However It will be re-uploaded on Tuesday.

Thanks for the feedback!

16. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Just some more info guys, 2D Radar Builder has not been moved away from using IMGUI yet so don't delete the dll for it.
    It contains the code for allowing the radar to snap to any of the 9 positions of the screen.

update Info
    You will get a minor update on all 2D, 3D, and Pro Radar Builder tools within 14 days from tomorrow.

Update turns out that the patch was not necessary.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  17. kaaJ

kaaJ

Hi there,

So, pretty nice and it works fast, so good job. The only issue I'm having is that the radar does not always destroy the blips when I'm destroying tracked gameobjects. It's not always, just sometimes. (maybe when 2 objects are destroyed simultaneous?). It's a small but annoying bug.

(also, I wish this was written in C# ;-)

Cheers

18. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Is this is with the 3D Radar ? , I will check that out.
    All scripts are written in C# ;)

Update I have been trying to get that error or bug bit no matter how many things i delete simultaneously. it never malfunctions.

Let me know exactly what you do

Update we tried destroying multiple objects but it still tracked fine. are you using a (Source Included) version ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  19. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Update. :)

For the next update we will be creating an area dedicated just to managing blip rotation behavior.
    Here is what the current setup looks like ?

• We are adding more documentation.
    • Removed the radar clutter from demo scene 2.

We will have to redesign the UI to not be confusing and messy.

@kaaJ @Tomohawk77 @FreakForFreedom did the tutorials help ?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  20. Metron

Metron

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1. I'm in a multi camera setup with each camera rendering a specific layer. When the blibs are created, they are set to the default layer. Is there any way to select the layer they should be placed in?

2. I have placed a box with a tag "Enemy" in my scene and set up the blib accordingly. But when I start the game, the blib child object is inactive. Any idea what the reason might be?

Edit:
    When using a mesh as a blib, I cannot select the material. When I put a 1 into material count, the material selection is not shown.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  21. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Okay so to answer your questions in order .

1) Thanks for pointing that out, will add that function right now . I just finished adding the LOD and freeze transform functions to the update ans was about to send it to unity.

2) Sure, ensure that you set your blip to active by clicking the button "Enemy is Inactive" to set it to "Enemy is Active", ensure that you set the value in the drop-down next to the button to "As Mesh" and ensure that you set the blip tag to enemy.
    as shown here using the tag "Life"

3) Enter the number of materials that your mesh uses and press the "enter" key on your keyboard. The materials will be assigned at run-time.

Function to come
    • Tracking lines (lines which help to show which blips are farther away)[on track]
    • In-Editor radar UI designer [unsure]
    • Multiple material support for mesh blips[Added]
    • Inverse object rotation tracking.[on track]
    • Prefab blips[Added]
    • mesh and prefab blip scaling with distance [On Track]
    • LOD support for mesh Blips[Added]
    • Child object position tracking [on track]
    • Option for culling of polygons existing outside of the Culling area(for terrain and large meshes to be displayed ) [Long term]
    • terrain simulation[unsure]
    • Option for auto scaling blips based on actual distance from center object [On Track]
    • Freeze transforms of blips [Added]

22. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

@Metron , layer settings have now been added and the update is being sent to the AssetStore.

23. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

So what is really cool now is that we an use LOD in the radar.

Take a look at the image where I show the re-simulation of the environment with the asteroids. More than 400 asteroids were being tracked simultaneously. With the new LOD function , you can ensure that your games run faster by setting low poly meshes for the "low" and "medium" areas in the LOD area.:)

Also, Because you will be using LOD in a space where you will still be seeing objects that are not in front of you, it would be best to scale the blips with LOD based on their distance from the center object. This is a function that will be in the next update.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  24. Metron

Metron

@DaiMangou Great. Looking forward to the update.

I have a question: The tracking lines, are they some kind of "height" indicator?

What do I mean? Well, given that my game uses the radar to display the enemies around the player, the overall direction is clearly visible. Unfortunately, having 3D space, the distance is not clearly visible when the enemy is flying in the sky. The blib is correctly displayed relative to the radar space, but I cannot directly see the "height" of the object.

The image behind this link shows what I mean: http://www.zeladastation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/radar.png

Any plans on doing this? (It would even be cool if we could specify an axis)

25. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Short answer: yes :)

getting the tracking lines set up is a bit tricky but it will get done.

Also I have just decided to add yet another function named "Make Live" in version 1.0.3a. By turning on "Make Live" you will be able to freely change all radar blip settings at run-time. However do not leave it turned on.

if for some reason your game needs to change radar blip sprites mid game-play then you would do this

MakeLive = true;

Make your changes here

MakeLive = false;

Given that we do have two version of 3D Radar Builder. one with the source code made available for persons who need the source code and another version for person who just need to create without ever seeing code.

Documentation on how to change the blip setting via script will be included in the update after this one.
    You have version 1.0.1a
    version 1.0.1a has LOD and freeze transform
    version 1.0.3 will have "Make Live" and script documentation for its use

26. probitaille

probitaille

Hey! Here my feedback about your 3D Radar.

You should change your interface to inform the user that the first blop (blop #0) is always the center and that only the other blips will move on the radar.

It take my 1 hour to understand why my first blip didn't move and stay fix to the center.

upload_2016-3-10_12-3-27.png

27. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Thanks a whole lot for the feedback !
    you're awesome !
    Will change that so that it is easier to understand.

28. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    I love this! Im havng an issue though. I have a game that is streaming and changes elevation over time.
    I have to turn scale and clip soze way up but cannot control the scale of the actual blip field. Injave blips showing from far away while others are culled well.
    Its like theres an overide happening or the clip shape isnt really spherical. Does the radar truly follow along with the player or does it always keep the same height?

29. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I'm going to need to see what you are doing .
    But what I understand from that statement is that you are tying to scale the blips from in the inspector and not the Radar Builder .
    The scale in the inspector is being overridden by the value in the Radar Builder.

Does that answer that part of your question ?

The radar will follow anything as long as you make it a child object of that thing . It can be make into a prefab , instanced and make a child of anything in the scene and much more .

But show me an example of what you are talking about. It is hard to get an understanding without seeing it.

30. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Just an update .

Got the tracking lines working for a while but things are a little bit crazy:(. so it will take a bit more work to get the tracking lines working the way they should.

Ensuring that the tracking lines maintain a position relative to the position of the blip and a length relative to the blip distance while factoring in movement through the x , y and z axis is crazy but there is progress :)

31. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Thanks for responding! Let me see if i can explain it better, its tough.
    My game is exploratory through tunnels and caves, its broken into areas and streamed using sectr.
    I Start at 0,0,0 then slowly move downwards through the game. It works perfectly at the start at a given scale setting. When i get down into an area that is much lower yet much bigger the scale doesnt seem to work. My blips dont show unless i raise the scale, even close ones. My flare that i can throw always works though. Also when i do raise the scale to show lots of blips, i cant contain them to an area in my vehicle. They all dissapear when i bring the value down (the value to clip them, im away from my pc).
    If i could scale the blip field down then they would fit the edges of my radar. I can move it away from the camera and scale up the radar to match the blips, but then its too far away. Im also seeimg unreliable blips when i destroy objects, sometimes they hang around. (Like the above user).
    Does that make sense? Thanks! I appreciate the help! :)

Update:
    -my Radar is scaled to 0,0,0 and scaled in the tool, same behavior...blips drawing far out and the clip value wont clip individuals, just all at once when the value is very low.
    -Also, whats the best way to disable blips? I use activate object allot as well as destroy, both leave a permanent blip behind. The Sectr streamed out blips are fine, its when I deactivate some that cannot be streamed, using a trigger.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  32. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

I am so lost hahaha. it is really not possible for me to understand without seeing it.
    send me an email DaiMangou@gmail.com , include a few screenshots. :)

33. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

No worries, I'll send an email :) thanks

34. Dave-Artis

Dave-Artis

Just a quick question. The tracking lines are an indicator of the distance above or below the plane of the radar, correct? As it stands you can tell roughly what direction a target is in but not whether it is above or below you.

35. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Got some great help in setting this up . However the previously mentioned challenges still remain.

36. Dave-Artis

Dave-Artis

Excellent! Thank you for the quick response.

Will the line color be customizable or at least the same color as the Blip?

37. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

It uses materials, so you can give it any material you want to, in order to make it look cool.

38. Dave-Artis

Dave-Artis

39. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Great great news guys,
    It is done.

Here is another example from the next AssetStore tool that I'm working on.
    Here I recreated the Elite Dangerous radar system.
    There are still a couple things that I will want to add to the system to make it work even better.

40. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

- Done

- Any colour and material you want.

- Changed the interface to make it easier to understand at first glance.

41. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Update 1.0.3a is now LIVE on the AssetStore.
    This update give you the option of implementing tracking lines and base trackers!

42. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

New tutorial showing you how to set up an Elite Dangerous style radar is coming

It will show how to re-simulate collision effects on your player in the radar.

you can do this one yourselves right now by simply treating an instance of a particle effect as a blip that you want to track and use a scaled down and simplified version of the particle effect of a universal particle effect which shows collision to represent the collision.

All of that will be covered in the next tutorials.

I'm having some microphone issues right now, which is why newer tutorials have not been uploaded yet.

ALSO , let me know what other functionality you would like.

43. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

New Updates added.

• sprite blips flip when passing through the y axis
    • Improved racking line color assignment
    • default tracking line material
    • Improved LOD function for mesh simulation

Only two new functions left to be added :D

Thank you all!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  44. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Version 2.0 has been released !

45. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

Do you have the functionality for the radar to act also as a compass? For example... having the outer ring rotate as the player moves. We use a due North game object in our scenes so having a spot to add a prefab that represents due North would be awesome.

46. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

sure, you can have it act as one. you would have to define east,west,north and south in your scene first... which may be a bit bothersome.

so thanks to your question , we can once again upgrade the radar system. check you our PRO radar builder to see the newest features .

releases for our 2D and 3D radar builder have been sent to unity and should be on the store soon

Recap, you can EASILY create the kind if radars you see in Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous using this tool .

we are currently facing technical issues and a hurricane so we are unable to release new tutorials for the tools nor reply to messages quickly.

chuckyluv869 likes this.
  47. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hi. I would also like the Compass functionality. It would be really helpful. Our map is procedural an infinite so it would be great if the solution is not an actual object in the scene but a direction in the x,y,z coordinates.

chuckyluv869 likes this.
  48. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

Yeah... maybe a drop down to define which axis is north... for instance positive z-axis.

49. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Yes, the function will allow for a compass function where you need to place objects in the scene. it will be added in version 3.0.1a.

Version 3.0.0a is a combination of both 3D Radar Builder and 2D Radar Builder, will be on store soon.

PRO Radar builder version 3.0.0a of both and is already on the store. So you can check that out.

50. reocwolf

reocwolf

@DaiMangou How is everything down there with the hurricane?